Dec 7, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
The Winnipeg Jets have had their struggles yet again this season. They’re currently sixth in the Central Division and 15 points behind first-place Chicago and one Winnipeg columnist says there’s a lack of accountability from a certain clique of players.
Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press says Andrew Ladd, Dustin Byfuglien, Blake Wheeler, Bryan Little, and Tobias Enstrom make up a group he calls the “Atlanta Association.” Those players, Lawless says, don’t hold themselves accountable for mistakes made and the team is suffering because of it.
There is a hierarchy in the Jets dressing room and at the top is a group of players who bonded together in Atlanta. Those friendships are taking precedence over results and they are rotting away any chance of success for the Jets.
The grumbles concerning anyone who has come from Atlanta is nothing new in the ‘Peg. With team captain (Ladd) being called out, as well as most of their top players and scorers from last season, this is a new shot across the bow.
If nothing else, a column like this might keep the heat off of coach Claude Noel while the team struggles.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 5
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 16
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)