Dec 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have been great this year for defensemen looking to play their first NHL game. Connor Carrick and Nate Schmidt made their league debuts with the team earlier this season and now another will join them tonight.
Capitals 2009 fourth-round pick Patrick Wey will play in his first NHL game tonight against the Nashville Predators as CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley shares. For Wey, it’s an extra special night given that he started the season in the ECHL with the Reading Royals.
Wey is expected to be paired up with Dmitry Orlov on the blue line giving the Caps a rather NHL-inexperienced third pairing. The team has had to dance around injuries to experienced defensemen John Erskine and Jack Hillen and cycling in others like Alexander Urbom and Steve Oleksy.
Getting Wey in against the low-scoring Predators isn’t a bad idea.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 13
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)