Dec 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have been great this year for defensemen looking to play their first NHL game. Connor Carrick and Nate Schmidt made their league debuts with the team earlier this season and now another will join them tonight.
Capitals 2009 fourth-round pick Patrick Wey will play in his first NHL game tonight against the Nashville Predators as CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley shares. For Wey, it’s an extra special night given that he started the season in the ECHL with the Reading Royals.
Wey is expected to be paired up with Dmitry Orlov on the blue line giving the Caps a rather NHL-inexperienced third pairing. The team has had to dance around injuries to experienced defensemen John Erskine and Jack Hillen and cycling in others like Alexander Urbom and Steve Oleksy.
Getting Wey in against the low-scoring Predators isn’t a bad idea.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)