Dec 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
The Washington Capitals have been great this year for defensemen looking to play their first NHL game. Connor Carrick and Nate Schmidt made their league debuts with the team earlier this season and now another will join them tonight.
Capitals 2009 fourth-round pick Patrick Wey will play in his first NHL game tonight against the Nashville Predators as CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley shares. For Wey, it’s an extra special night given that he started the season in the ECHL with the Reading Royals.
Wey is expected to be paired up with Dmitry Orlov on the blue line giving the Caps a rather NHL-inexperienced third pairing. The team has had to dance around injuries to experienced defensemen John Erskine and Jack Hillen and cycling in others like Alexander Urbom and Steve Oleksy.
Getting Wey in against the low-scoring Predators isn’t a bad idea.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)