Dec 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Mike Chambers of The Denver Post says the team sent Hejda back to Denver for further examination. He was hurt after he lost an edge and crashed into the boards.
Hejda is second only to Erik Johnson on the team with a plus-minus rating of plus-17 (Johnson is plus-18). His steady defensive play is a key reason why the Avalanche have had success this season as he leads the team in average time on ice playing more than 22 minutes per game.
If he’s out for an extended period of time, the Avalanche will have to find someone capable of playing strong defense. Nate Guenin played over 25 minutes in Colorado’s 3-2 win against Calgary last night and could be the guy that picks up Hejda’s slack.
Update (1:49 p.m. ET): Chambers reports Hejda out 10-14 days with a sprained knee.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 16
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)