Dec 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Mike Chambers of The Denver Post says the team sent Hejda back to Denver for further examination. He was hurt after he lost an edge and crashed into the boards.
Hejda is second only to Erik Johnson on the team with a plus-minus rating of plus-17 (Johnson is plus-18). His steady defensive play is a key reason why the Avalanche have had success this season as he leads the team in average time on ice playing more than 22 minutes per game.
If he’s out for an extended period of time, the Avalanche will have to find someone capable of playing strong defense. Nate Guenin played over 25 minutes in Colorado’s 3-2 win against Calgary last night and could be the guy that picks up Hejda’s slack.
Update (1:49 p.m. ET): Chambers reports Hejda out 10-14 days with a sprained knee.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)