Dec 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Mike Chambers of The Denver Post says the team sent Hejda back to Denver for further examination. He was hurt after he lost an edge and crashed into the boards.
Hejda is second only to Erik Johnson on the team with a plus-minus rating of plus-17 (Johnson is plus-18). His steady defensive play is a key reason why the Avalanche have had success this season as he leads the team in average time on ice playing more than 22 minutes per game.
If he’s out for an extended period of time, the Avalanche will have to find someone capable of playing strong defense. Nate Guenin played over 25 minutes in Colorado’s 3-2 win against Calgary last night and could be the guy that picks up Hejda’s slack.
Update (1:49 p.m. ET): Chambers reports Hejda out 10-14 days with a sprained knee.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)