Dec 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Mike Chambers of The Denver Post says the team sent Hejda back to Denver for further examination. He was hurt after he lost an edge and crashed into the boards.
Hejda is second only to Erik Johnson on the team with a plus-minus rating of plus-17 (Johnson is plus-18). His steady defensive play is a key reason why the Avalanche have had success this season as he leads the team in average time on ice playing more than 22 minutes per game.
If he’s out for an extended period of time, the Avalanche will have to find someone capable of playing strong defense. Nate Guenin played over 25 minutes in Colorado’s 3-2 win against Calgary last night and could be the guy that picks up Hejda’s slack.
Update (1:49 p.m. ET): Chambers reports Hejda out 10-14 days with a sprained knee.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 29
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)