Dec 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
It’s never pleasant to see a top prospect suffer a possible concussion. The Tampa Bay Lightning must stomach a double whammy, though, as 2013 first-rounder (third overall) Jonathan Drouin suffered that injury thanks to a hit by Adam Erne … a player the team drafted one round later (33rd overall).
Drouin’s Halifax Mooseheads announced that he’s dealing with concussion-like symptoms and will be reevaluated on Saturday. Erne, 18, received a game misconduct for checking from behind on the hit.
As unsettling as this is for the Lightning, Erne’s also becoming an unpopular man in Canada, as many are freaking out on Twitter about this injury possibly keeping Drouin, 18, out of the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships.
The Bolts have already been dealing with major injuries at the NHL level, but now even prospects in the QMJHL are suffering from unsettling ailments. The fact that another Lightning prospect is guilty of delivering the check just adds insult to many injuries.
Erne already has an NHL rap sheet, too, as he was suspended three preseason games for a hit on Vladimir Sobotka:
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)