Dec 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
It’s never pleasant to see a top prospect suffer a possible concussion. The Tampa Bay Lightning must stomach a double whammy, though, as 2013 first-rounder (third overall) Jonathan Drouin suffered that injury thanks to a hit by Adam Erne … a player the team drafted one round later (33rd overall).
Drouin’s Halifax Mooseheads announced that he’s dealing with concussion-like symptoms and will be reevaluated on Saturday. Erne, 18, received a game misconduct for checking from behind on the hit.
As unsettling as this is for the Lightning, Erne’s also becoming an unpopular man in Canada, as many are freaking out on Twitter about this injury possibly keeping Drouin, 18, out of the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships.
The Bolts have already been dealing with major injuries at the NHL level, but now even prospects in the QMJHL are suffering from unsettling ailments. The fact that another Lightning prospect is guilty of delivering the check just adds insult to many injuries.
Erne already has an NHL rap sheet, too, as he was suspended three preseason games for a hit on Vladimir Sobotka:
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 49
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 21
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)