Dec 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
It’s never pleasant to see a top prospect suffer a possible concussion. The Tampa Bay Lightning must stomach a double whammy, though, as 2013 first-rounder (third overall) Jonathan Drouin suffered that injury thanks to a hit by Adam Erne … a player the team drafted one round later (33rd overall).
Drouin’s Halifax Mooseheads announced that he’s dealing with concussion-like symptoms and will be reevaluated on Saturday. Erne, 18, received a game misconduct for checking from behind on the hit.
As unsettling as this is for the Lightning, Erne’s also becoming an unpopular man in Canada, as many are freaking out on Twitter about this injury possibly keeping Drouin, 18, out of the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships.
The Bolts have already been dealing with major injuries at the NHL level, but now even prospects in the QMJHL are suffering from unsettling ailments. The fact that another Lightning prospect is guilty of delivering the check just adds insult to many injuries.
Erne already has an NHL rap sheet, too, as he was suspended three preseason games for a hit on Vladimir Sobotka:
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)