Dec 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
It’s never pleasant to see a top prospect suffer a possible concussion. The Tampa Bay Lightning must stomach a double whammy, though, as 2013 first-rounder (third overall) Jonathan Drouin suffered that injury thanks to a hit by Adam Erne … a player the team drafted one round later (33rd overall).
Drouin’s Halifax Mooseheads announced that he’s dealing with concussion-like symptoms and will be reevaluated on Saturday. Erne, 18, received a game misconduct for checking from behind on the hit.
As unsettling as this is for the Lightning, Erne’s also becoming an unpopular man in Canada, as many are freaking out on Twitter about this injury possibly keeping Drouin, 18, out of the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships.
The Bolts have already been dealing with major injuries at the NHL level, but now even prospects in the QMJHL are suffering from unsettling ailments. The fact that another Lightning prospect is guilty of delivering the check just adds insult to many injuries.
Erne already has an NHL rap sheet, too, as he was suspended three preseason games for a hit on Vladimir Sobotka:
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 0
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)