Dec 6, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Dec. 2, 2010: Oilers 5, Toronto 0
“The Edmonton Oilers are feeling a lot better about their season,” wrote the Associated Press in the first sentence of its game recap.
Nov. 19, 2011: Oilers 9, Blackhawks 2
“The Edmonton Oilers didn’t just break their four-game losing streak, they smashed it to pieces.” — AP
Apr. 27, 2013: Oilers 7, Canucks 2
“In their season finale, the Edmonton Oilers offered up some hope for next season.” — AP
Dec. 5, 2013: Oilers 8, Avalanche 2
“It would be difficult to find a team much harder to figure out than the Edmonton Oilers.” — AP
No kidding. Because those are just a few of the blowouts the rebuilding Oilers have enjoyed the past few seasons. Remember just a few weeks ago when they beat Columbus, 7-0?
And with each big win came a hopeful glimpse of the future. Of a team stacked with offensive weapons, just like those old Oilers teams of the 1980s that won four Stanley Cups in five seasons.
Except even with three first overall picks in the lineup, it hasn’t turned out that way. Not even close, really. Forget competing for Stanley Cups, the Oilers haven’t even made the playoffs since the rebuild started — a rebuild that’s provided their roster with three first overall picks. And barring a miraculous turnaround, they won’t make the playoffs this season either.
Still, there’s hope. After starting out 4-15-2, Edmonton is 6-3-0 in its last nine, with winnable home games versus Calgary and Carolina coming up.
“Over the last few weeks, our group has taken a step in mental toughness,” head coach Dallas Eakins said last night after his team’s destruction of the Avs.
We’ll see if, this time, the optimism is warranted.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 30
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)