Dec 6, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars’ defense is hurting right now, as Trevor Daley joins Stephane Robidas as blueliners who will be out for a significant amount of time with lower-body injuries. Daley, 30, was placed on the IR stemming from this injury from Thursday:
Stars head coach Lindy Ruff gave the vague update that Daley will be out “weeks.”
“He was evaluated this morning and he is going to be out weeks,” Ruff said. “We’ll see where we end up with that.”
Both Daley and Robidas were injured due to unfortunate tumbles into the boards. Robidas, 36, suffered his issue on Nov. 28 and is out indefinitely:
Despite losing two important pieces of their defense corps, Stars GM Jim Nill said he’s staying the course. For now, at least.
“We’ll go with what we’ve got. We’ve been happy.” Nill said. “This is a good opportunity for the young guys. I thought last night [Jamie] Oleksiak and [Kevin] Connauton both came in and played well. We’ve got Jordie Benn (a healthy scratch Thursday) who is going to get back in the lineup. We’ve got Aaron Rome who is injured, but coming back. So, we’ve got that extra guy there. We’re going to be OK.”
“OK” might not be good enough to make up enough ground to grab a playoff spot, though.
On the bright side, it sounds like Ryan Garbutt (ankle/foot) might be ready to play on Saturday, though that isn’t likely to improve their outlook on defense.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 33
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)