Dec 6, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars’ defense is hurting right now, as Trevor Daley joins Stephane Robidas as blueliners who will be out for a significant amount of time with lower-body injuries. Daley, 30, was placed on the IR stemming from this injury from Thursday:
Stars head coach Lindy Ruff gave the vague update that Daley will be out “weeks.”
“He was evaluated this morning and he is going to be out weeks,” Ruff said. “We’ll see where we end up with that.”
Both Daley and Robidas were injured due to unfortunate tumbles into the boards. Robidas, 36, suffered his issue on Nov. 28 and is out indefinitely:
Despite losing two important pieces of their defense corps, Stars GM Jim Nill said he’s staying the course. For now, at least.
“We’ll go with what we’ve got. We’ve been happy.” Nill said. “This is a good opportunity for the young guys. I thought last night [Jamie] Oleksiak and [Kevin] Connauton both came in and played well. We’ve got Jordie Benn (a healthy scratch Thursday) who is going to get back in the lineup. We’ve got Aaron Rome who is injured, but coming back. So, we’ve got that extra guy there. We’re going to be OK.”
“OK” might not be good enough to make up enough ground to grab a playoff spot, though.
On the bright side, it sounds like Ryan Garbutt (ankle/foot) might be ready to play on Saturday, though that isn’t likely to improve their outlook on defense.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)