Dec 6, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Following last night’s 5-1 defeat in Pittsburgh, the Sharks reflected on the game that was with a rather unique focus — how poorly Marc-Andre Fleury played in stopping 44 of 45 shots faced.
Here be the comments, from CSN Bay Area:
The Sharks managed to throw 45 pucks in Fleury’s direction, but still didn’t have many prime scoring chances. Although he made 44 saves, the Sharks were decidedly unimpressed by the goaltender’s performance.
“Stats aside, I don’t think Fleury was that good tonight,” [Logan] Couture said. “He gave up a lot of rebounds and a lot of shots he looked shaky on. We weren’t able to score on second chances.”
[Joe] Pavelski said: “He was fighting it all night. It felt like we could have had five. Pucks were bouncing and laying between his legs. There were a couple second opportunities, that there were times you didn’t know how it didn’t go in.”
Three things to note:
1) This isn’t the first time the Sharks have done some talking following a loss. During the ’11-12 campaign, Joe Thornton called the Rangers “probably the softest team we played against” following a 5-2 loss at MSG. That prompted then-Rangers coach John Tortorella to utter his now-famous “Joe hasn’t won a g-damn thing in this league” line.
2) The Sharks said this on a night when their own goalie, Antti Niemi, was hooked after allowing four goals on 27 shots.
3) Here’s a sequence of Fleury’s saves on Couture from the third period. You be the judge on how shaky he looked:
Also, Pavelski recorded just one shot on goal.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)