Dec 6, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Following last night’s 5-1 defeat in Pittsburgh, the Sharks reflected on the game that was with a rather unique focus — how poorly Marc-Andre Fleury played in stopping 44 of 45 shots faced.
Here be the comments, from CSN Bay Area:
The Sharks managed to throw 45 pucks in Fleury’s direction, but still didn’t have many prime scoring chances. Although he made 44 saves, the Sharks were decidedly unimpressed by the goaltender’s performance.
“Stats aside, I don’t think Fleury was that good tonight,” [Logan] Couture said. “He gave up a lot of rebounds and a lot of shots he looked shaky on. We weren’t able to score on second chances.”
[Joe] Pavelski said: “He was fighting it all night. It felt like we could have had five. Pucks were bouncing and laying between his legs. There were a couple second opportunities, that there were times you didn’t know how it didn’t go in.”
Three things to note:
1) This isn’t the first time the Sharks have done some talking following a loss. During the ’11-12 campaign, Joe Thornton called the Rangers “probably the softest team we played against” following a 5-2 loss at MSG. That prompted then-Rangers coach John Tortorella to utter his now-famous “Joe hasn’t won a g-damn thing in this league” line.
2) The Sharks said this on a night when their own goalie, Antti Niemi, was hooked after allowing four goals on 27 shots.
3) Here’s a sequence of Fleury’s saves on Couture from the third period. You be the judge on how shaky he looked:
Also, Pavelski recorded just one shot on goal.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 0
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)