Dec 6, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
A pending unrestricted free agent, Sabres goalie Ryan Miller has had “exploratory, get to know each other” talks with Buffalo management, now led by president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine.
And at this point, that’s all the talks have been.
“I think they’re trying to figure out guys they want to hang on to and they think they can build a core around,” Miller said, per the Buffalo News. “We’ll see how it goes.”
Wherever Miller ends up signing, it doesn’t sound like he’ll be doing it for cheap. Not after Henrik Lundqvist got a seven-year, $59.5 million extension with the Rangers, a deal that Miller feels “sets the standards” for goalies.
At 33 years old, the next contract Miller signs figures to be his last big one. If it’s going to be with the Sabres, he wants more than promises that the team will be back out of the NHL’s basement soon.
“I’ve heard a lot of talk over my time,” he said “It’s about actions at this point. I’m not going to sit around and let promises get thrown around.”
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 0
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 24
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)