Dec 6, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
A pending unrestricted free agent, Sabres goalie Ryan Miller has had “exploratory, get to know each other” talks with Buffalo management, now led by president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine.
And at this point, that’s all the talks have been.
“I think they’re trying to figure out guys they want to hang on to and they think they can build a core around,” Miller said, per the Buffalo News. “We’ll see how it goes.”
Wherever Miller ends up signing, it doesn’t sound like he’ll be doing it for cheap. Not after Henrik Lundqvist got a seven-year, $59.5 million extension with the Rangers, a deal that Miller feels “sets the standards” for goalies.
At 33 years old, the next contract Miller signs figures to be his last big one. If it’s going to be with the Sabres, he wants more than promises that the team will be back out of the NHL’s basement soon.
“I’ve heard a lot of talk over my time,” he said “It’s about actions at this point. I’m not going to sit around and let promises get thrown around.”
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)