Dec 6, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
Liles, 33, has been buried in the minors for some cap relief of his four-year, $15.5 million deal… of which there are three years remaining (Liles also has a modified no-trade clause.)
The former Avalanche rearguard has played well for the Marlies, scoring three goals and 13 points with a team-best plus-9 rating through 16 games.
Liles’ recall has fueled speculation that Toronto might release 19-year-old rookie defenseman Morgan Rielly to play for Canada at the upcoming World Junior tournament. Rielly was a healthy scratch for Thursday’s win over Dallas and it doesn’t appear the Leafs are in any rush to make a decision on his playing future.
World Jr selection camp opens Dec 12 at MasterCard centre. If the Leafs decide to loan Rielly out there is plenty of time to make decision
— David Alter (@DavidAlter590) December 6, 2013
The #leafs have until Dec. 19 to make a decision about whether Morgan Rielly goes to the world juniors. NHL roster freeze kicks in then.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) December 6, 2013
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)