Dec 6, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
Liles, 33, has been buried in the minors for some cap relief of his four-year, $15.5 million deal… of which there are three years remaining (Liles also has a modified no-trade clause.)
The former Avalanche rearguard has played well for the Marlies, scoring three goals and 13 points with a team-best plus-9 rating through 16 games.
Liles’ recall has fueled speculation that Toronto might release 19-year-old rookie defenseman Morgan Rielly to play for Canada at the upcoming World Junior tournament. Rielly was a healthy scratch for Thursday’s win over Dallas and it doesn’t appear the Leafs are in any rush to make a decision on his playing future.
World Jr selection camp opens Dec 12 at MasterCard centre. If the Leafs decide to loan Rielly out there is plenty of time to make decision
— David Alter (@DavidAlter590) December 6, 2013
The #leafs have until Dec. 19 to make a decision about whether Morgan Rielly goes to the world juniors. NHL roster freeze kicks in then.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) December 6, 2013
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)