Dec 6, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
Liles, 33, has been buried in the minors for some cap relief of his four-year, $15.5 million deal… of which there are three years remaining (Liles also has a modified no-trade clause.)
The former Avalanche rearguard has played well for the Marlies, scoring three goals and 13 points with a team-best plus-9 rating through 16 games.
Liles’ recall has fueled speculation that Toronto might release 19-year-old rookie defenseman Morgan Rielly to play for Canada at the upcoming World Junior tournament. Rielly was a healthy scratch for Thursday’s win over Dallas and it doesn’t appear the Leafs are in any rush to make a decision on his playing future.
World Jr selection camp opens Dec 12 at MasterCard centre. If the Leafs decide to loan Rielly out there is plenty of time to make decision
— David Alter (@DavidAlter590) December 6, 2013
The #leafs have until Dec. 19 to make a decision about whether Morgan Rielly goes to the world juniors. NHL roster freeze kicks in then.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) December 6, 2013
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 1
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 13
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)