Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
The New York Islanders’ 2013-14 campaign has been a disaster so far. That much is hard to dispute, but the why is open for debate.
Goaltender Evgeni Nabokov, 38, hasn’t been able to help his teammates lately due to a groin injury, but he’s still in the loop and has a somewhat different theory.
“To me, when the work ethic is not there, then it’s time to speak up,” Nabokov told Newsday.
“It’s not about work ethic here, to me. It’s all a lack of confidence right now. The way we’re playing, if we win one tough game, no matter how we do it, I feel like we’ll get on a roll.”
The Islanders have no shortage of potentially tough games coming up. They suffered a 5-1 loss to the St. Louis last night to kick off a road trip that also involves matches against Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, and Phoenix.
New York has come up short in eight consecutive contests to fall a staggering nine points shy of a postseason spot. They have roughly two-thirds of their schedule left, but already salvaging this campaign is turning into a daunting task.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)