Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
The New York Islanders’ 2013-14 campaign has been a disaster so far. That much is hard to dispute, but the why is open for debate.
Goaltender Evgeni Nabokov, 38, hasn’t been able to help his teammates lately due to a groin injury, but he’s still in the loop and has a somewhat different theory.
“To me, when the work ethic is not there, then it’s time to speak up,” Nabokov told Newsday.
“It’s not about work ethic here, to me. It’s all a lack of confidence right now. The way we’re playing, if we win one tough game, no matter how we do it, I feel like we’ll get on a roll.”
The Islanders have no shortage of potentially tough games coming up. They suffered a 5-1 loss to the St. Louis last night to kick off a road trip that also involves matches against Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, and Phoenix.
New York has come up short in eight consecutive contests to fall a staggering nine points shy of a postseason spot. They have roughly two-thirds of their schedule left, but already salvaging this campaign is turning into a daunting task.
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 3
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 21
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 12
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 73
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (87)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)