Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
The New York Islanders’ 2013-14 campaign has been a disaster so far. That much is hard to dispute, but the why is open for debate.
Goaltender Evgeni Nabokov, 38, hasn’t been able to help his teammates lately due to a groin injury, but he’s still in the loop and has a somewhat different theory.
“To me, when the work ethic is not there, then it’s time to speak up,” Nabokov told Newsday.
“It’s not about work ethic here, to me. It’s all a lack of confidence right now. The way we’re playing, if we win one tough game, no matter how we do it, I feel like we’ll get on a roll.”
The Islanders have no shortage of potentially tough games coming up. They suffered a 5-1 loss to the St. Louis last night to kick off a road trip that also involves matches against Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, and Phoenix.
New York has come up short in eight consecutive contests to fall a staggering nine points shy of a postseason spot. They have roughly two-thirds of their schedule left, but already salvaging this campaign is turning into a daunting task.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)