Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 AM EST
The New York Islanders’ 2013-14 campaign has been a disaster so far. That much is hard to dispute, but the why is open for debate.
Goaltender Evgeni Nabokov, 38, hasn’t been able to help his teammates lately due to a groin injury, but he’s still in the loop and has a somewhat different theory.
“To me, when the work ethic is not there, then it’s time to speak up,” Nabokov told Newsday.
“It’s not about work ethic here, to me. It’s all a lack of confidence right now. The way we’re playing, if we win one tough game, no matter how we do it, I feel like we’ll get on a roll.”
The Islanders have no shortage of potentially tough games coming up. They suffered a 5-1 loss to the St. Louis last night to kick off a road trip that also involves matches against Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, and Phoenix.
New York has come up short in eight consecutive contests to fall a staggering nine points shy of a postseason spot. They have roughly two-thirds of their schedule left, but already salvaging this campaign is turning into a daunting task.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 5
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)