Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
The New York Islanders’ 2013-14 campaign has been a disaster so far. That much is hard to dispute, but the why is open for debate.
Goaltender Evgeni Nabokov, 38, hasn’t been able to help his teammates lately due to a groin injury, but he’s still in the loop and has a somewhat different theory.
“To me, when the work ethic is not there, then it’s time to speak up,” Nabokov told Newsday.
“It’s not about work ethic here, to me. It’s all a lack of confidence right now. The way we’re playing, if we win one tough game, no matter how we do it, I feel like we’ll get on a roll.”
The Islanders have no shortage of potentially tough games coming up. They suffered a 5-1 loss to the St. Louis last night to kick off a road trip that also involves matches against Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, and Phoenix.
New York has come up short in eight consecutive contests to fall a staggering nine points shy of a postseason spot. They have roughly two-thirds of their schedule left, but already salvaging this campaign is turning into a daunting task.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)