Dec 6, 2013, 12:57 PM EDT
More tough news on the Pittsburgh injury front Friday, as the club announced Evgeni Malkin would miss his second straight game with a lower-body injury, and that forward Andrew Ebbett has been placed on IR with a broken ankle.
Malkin, the NHL’s second star for November, reportedly suffered the injury during Thursday’s morning’s skate, which he left early. On Tuesday, he played 25:22 while picking up a pair of assists in a 3-2 overtime win over the Islanders.
The NHL’s second-leading scorer behind Pittsburgh teammate Sidney Crosby, Malkin has been named the NHL’s first star of the week in consecutive weeks. The 27-year-old had four goals and 21 assists in the month of November alone.
As for Ebbett, he’d appeared in five games for Pittsburgh after getting called up from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton following injuries to the likes of forwards Beau Bennett, Tanner Glass and Chuck Kobasew.
Ebbett broke his ankle during Thursday’s 5-1 win over San Jose, but still managed to play a season-high 14:43.
So, just to recap, Pittsburgh’s injured list…
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)