Dec 6, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
More tough news on the Pittsburgh injury front Friday, as the club announced Evgeni Malkin would miss his second straight game with a lower-body injury, and that forward Andrew Ebbett has been placed on IR with a broken ankle.
Malkin, the NHL’s second star for November, reportedly suffered the injury during Thursday’s morning’s skate, which he left early. On Tuesday, he played 25:22 while picking up a pair of assists in a 3-2 overtime win over the Islanders.
The NHL’s second-leading scorer behind Pittsburgh teammate Sidney Crosby, Malkin has been named the NHL’s first star of the week in consecutive weeks. The 27-year-old had four goals and 21 assists in the month of November alone.
As for Ebbett, he’d appeared in five games for Pittsburgh after getting called up from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton following injuries to the likes of forwards Beau Bennett, Tanner Glass and Chuck Kobasew.
Ebbett broke his ankle during Thursday’s 5-1 win over San Jose, but still managed to play a season-high 14:43.
So, just to recap, Pittsburgh’s injured list…
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 8
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 11
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 1
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33