Dec 6, 2013, 12:57 PM EDT
More tough news on the Pittsburgh injury front Friday, as the club announced Evgeni Malkin would miss his second straight game with a lower-body injury, and that forward Andrew Ebbett has been placed on IR with a broken ankle.
Malkin, the NHL’s second star for November, reportedly suffered the injury during Thursday’s morning’s skate, which he left early. On Tuesday, he played 25:22 while picking up a pair of assists in a 3-2 overtime win over the Islanders.
The NHL’s second-leading scorer behind Pittsburgh teammate Sidney Crosby, Malkin has been named the NHL’s first star of the week in consecutive weeks. The 27-year-old had four goals and 21 assists in the month of November alone.
As for Ebbett, he’d appeared in five games for Pittsburgh after getting called up from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton following injuries to the likes of forwards Beau Bennett, Tanner Glass and Chuck Kobasew.
Ebbett broke his ankle during Thursday’s 5-1 win over San Jose, but still managed to play a season-high 14:43.
So, just to recap, Pittsburgh’s injured list…
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)