Dec 6, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
After losing to the Pittsburgh Penguins 5-1 on Thursday, the San Jose Sharks described opposing goalie Marc-Andre Fleury as “shaky” and that he was “fighting it.” One could argue the same might be said about the Sharks, as they also lost to the Carolina Hurricanes 5-3 on Friday.
That’s 10 goals allowed over two nights (although Carolina’s fifth tally was an empty-netter). The Sharks built a 2-0 lead in the first period but weren’t able to protect it against the Canes tonight.
One wouldn’t expect that sort of work from “the best team in hockey,” which is how Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma described the Sharks before Thursday’s game. Maybe Bylsma would say his proclamation was “shaky” and that he was “fighting it” in retrospect.
(Of course, it’s a long season, so a tough pair of games here and there doesn’t condemn the Sharks big-picture.)
The Sharks unraveled in particular in the third period tonight, as a 2-1 lead turned into a 5-3 defeat. While San Jose showered Fleury with 45 shots but still lost yesterday, the numbers imply that they petered out in back-to-back games, as Carolina fired 10 more shots on goal (35-25).
While it’s easy (and, admittedly, pretty fun) to latch onto a few Sharks statements after this defeat, the Hurricanes deserve credit for the win. Carolina is showing signs of life with a three-game winning streak and five wins in their last seven games, pushing them above .500 (13-12-5) on the season. This could be an important confidence boost as they’re heading out for a four-game Western road trip beginning on Monday.
San Jose remains among the NHL’s elite at 19-5-5, but perhaps games like tonight might humble them a bit.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)