Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf scored a goal and an assist in the Anaheim Ducks’ 3-2 shootout win against the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday, making it that much tougher to imagine the big power forward being left off of Canada’s Olympic roster in 2014.
Getzlaf, 28, pushed his point streak to 12 games tonight, collecting nine goals and nine assists during that span. Overall, Getzlaf has 15 goals and 34 points in 28 games.
That increased trigger-happiness is what really stands out. He has 78 shots in 28 contests for an average of about 2.8 shots per game, matching his career-high mark when he scored 25 goals on 227 shots in 2008-09.
His potential fellow Olympian and partner-in-crime Corey Perry owned the highlight of the night, as he managed this unlikely tip-in goal:
(Perry might be despised by many opponents around the league, but even his biggest haters must admit that was impressive.)
The Ducks lost two straight shootouts heading into Friday, so it’s probably refreshing to get the extra point tonight. They’re now 19-7-5 on the season, but they won’t have much time to celebrate, as they face the Blues in St. Louis on Saturday.
Anaheim winning the shootout helped to obscure an overtime controversy, as a questionable goalie interference call wiped out a would-be Ducks OT tally.
The Blackhawks are experiencing a lull lately. After finishing their circus trip on a high note with six straight wins, the Blackhawks have now lost three games in a row to fall to 20-6-5.
This was a clash of Western Conference powers, but all it really does is muddy the picture, as the battle for seeding could be pretty fierce if most of the conference’s top teams avoid a harsh drop in performance.
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
All three of their teams are still in the running for the Stanley Cup.
May 22, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
San Jose has been linked to several high profile coaches.
May 22, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
He was credited with turning around the Red Wings’ power play.
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
May 22, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“It’s been real special, to say the least.”
May 22, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
The third ‘tender taken at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft had a rough first pro season in North America.
May 22, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Finnish forward joined the organization last year after solid production in the SM-liiga.
May 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
That’s him, with Vladimir Putin.
May 22, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
No word on who’ll draw in as a replacement.
May 22, 2015, 11:40 AM EDT
No word yet if he’ll be able to play right away.
May 22, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
We really need to get these combos better nicknames, though.
May 22, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
The Rangers need The King to play like one tonight.
May 22, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
He also reiterates that the salary cap will be about $71M.
May 22, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Almost always a good way to go.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)