Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf scored a goal and an assist in the Anaheim Ducks’ 3-2 shootout win against the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday, making it that much tougher to imagine the big power forward being left off of Canada’s Olympic roster in 2014.
Getzlaf, 28, pushed his point streak to 12 games tonight, collecting nine goals and nine assists during that span. Overall, Getzlaf has 15 goals and 34 points in 28 games.
That increased trigger-happiness is what really stands out. He has 78 shots in 28 contests for an average of about 2.8 shots per game, matching his career-high mark when he scored 25 goals on 227 shots in 2008-09.
His potential fellow Olympian and partner-in-crime Corey Perry owned the highlight of the night, as he managed this unlikely tip-in goal:
(Perry might be despised by many opponents around the league, but even his biggest haters must admit that was impressive.)
The Ducks lost two straight shootouts heading into Friday, so it’s probably refreshing to get the extra point tonight. They’re now 19-7-5 on the season, but they won’t have much time to celebrate, as they face the Blues in St. Louis on Saturday.
Anaheim winning the shootout helped to obscure an overtime controversy, as a questionable goalie interference call wiped out a would-be Ducks OT tally.
The Blackhawks are experiencing a lull lately. After finishing their circus trip on a high note with six straight wins, the Blackhawks have now lost three games in a row to fall to 20-6-5.
This was a clash of Western Conference powers, but all it really does is muddy the picture, as the battle for seeding could be pretty fierce if most of the conference’s top teams avoid a harsh drop in performance.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Who might be interested?
Jun 30, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT
Former Buffalo forward had three points in six playoff games for Montreal.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Don Sweeney. Busy man.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
33-year-old had 14 goals and 38 points last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Six goals in 57 games last season.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT
More Boston news.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
The latest in an ongoing saga.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
“This doesn’t keep me awake at night. Since the day we got Dougie Hamilton, I’ve had the best sleeps of the past few years. “
Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
With Antti Raanta gone, he’s now set as the backup’s backup.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
26-year-old defenseman has missed just one game over the last two years.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $2.9 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
They both finished in the top 10 in minutes in 2014-15.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:57 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut during the 2013-14 campaign before his career was derailed.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
He played with four different NHL teams last season.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
It’s not all about the Zac Rinaldo trade, although that certainly didn’t help.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
He establish himself with the team after years of work primarily in the AHL.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
San Jose still has an opening on its blueline.
- Report: Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 15
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 9
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 3
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 25
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)