Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf scored a goal and an assist in the Anaheim Ducks’ 3-2 shootout win against the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday, making it that much tougher to imagine the big power forward being left off of Canada’s Olympic roster in 2014.
Getzlaf, 28, pushed his point streak to 12 games tonight, collecting nine goals and nine assists during that span. Overall, Getzlaf has 15 goals and 34 points in 28 games.
That increased trigger-happiness is what really stands out. He has 78 shots in 28 contests for an average of about 2.8 shots per game, matching his career-high mark when he scored 25 goals on 227 shots in 2008-09.
His potential fellow Olympian and partner-in-crime Corey Perry owned the highlight of the night, as he managed this unlikely tip-in goal:
(Perry might be despised by many opponents around the league, but even his biggest haters must admit that was impressive.)
The Ducks lost two straight shootouts heading into Friday, so it’s probably refreshing to get the extra point tonight. They’re now 19-7-5 on the season, but they won’t have much time to celebrate, as they face the Blues in St. Louis on Saturday.
Anaheim winning the shootout helped to obscure an overtime controversy, as a questionable goalie interference call wiped out a would-be Ducks OT tally.
The Blackhawks are experiencing a lull lately. After finishing their circus trip on a high note with six straight wins, the Blackhawks have now lost three games in a row to fall to 20-6-5.
This was a clash of Western Conference powers, but all it really does is muddy the picture, as the battle for seeding could be pretty fierce if most of the conference’s top teams avoid a harsh drop in performance.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)