Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Ryan Getzlaf scored a goal and an assist in the Anaheim Ducks’ 3-2 shootout win against the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday, making it that much tougher to imagine the big power forward being left off of Canada’s Olympic roster in 2014.
Getzlaf, 28, pushed his point streak to 12 games tonight, collecting nine goals and nine assists during that span. Overall, Getzlaf has 15 goals and 34 points in 28 games.
That increased trigger-happiness is what really stands out. He has 78 shots in 28 contests for an average of about 2.8 shots per game, matching his career-high mark when he scored 25 goals on 227 shots in 2008-09.
His potential fellow Olympian and partner-in-crime Corey Perry owned the highlight of the night, as he managed this unlikely tip-in goal:
(Perry might be despised by many opponents around the league, but even his biggest haters must admit that was impressive.)
The Ducks lost two straight shootouts heading into Friday, so it’s probably refreshing to get the extra point tonight. They’re now 19-7-5 on the season, but they won’t have much time to celebrate, as they face the Blues in St. Louis on Saturday.
Anaheim winning the shootout helped to obscure an overtime controversy, as a questionable goalie interference call wiped out a would-be Ducks OT tally.
The Blackhawks are experiencing a lull lately. After finishing their circus trip on a high note with six straight wins, the Blackhawks have now lost three games in a row to fall to 20-6-5.
This was a clash of Western Conference powers, but all it really does is muddy the picture, as the battle for seeding could be pretty fierce if most of the conference’s top teams avoid a harsh drop in performance.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 19
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 9
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 69
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (74)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)