Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf scored a goal and an assist in the Anaheim Ducks’ 3-2 shootout win against the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday, making it that much tougher to imagine the big power forward being left off of Canada’s Olympic roster in 2014.
Getzlaf, 28, pushed his point streak to 12 games tonight, collecting nine goals and nine assists during that span. Overall, Getzlaf has 15 goals and 34 points in 28 games.
That increased trigger-happiness is what really stands out. He has 78 shots in 28 contests for an average of about 2.8 shots per game, matching his career-high mark when he scored 25 goals on 227 shots in 2008-09.
His potential fellow Olympian and partner-in-crime Corey Perry owned the highlight of the night, as he managed this unlikely tip-in goal:
(Perry might be despised by many opponents around the league, but even his biggest haters must admit that was impressive.)
The Ducks lost two straight shootouts heading into Friday, so it’s probably refreshing to get the extra point tonight. They’re now 19-7-5 on the season, but they won’t have much time to celebrate, as they face the Blues in St. Louis on Saturday.
Anaheim winning the shootout helped to obscure an overtime controversy, as a questionable goalie interference call wiped out a would-be Ducks OT tally.
The Blackhawks are experiencing a lull lately. After finishing their circus trip on a high note with six straight wins, the Blackhawks have now lost three games in a row to fall to 20-6-5.
This was a clash of Western Conference powers, but all it really does is muddy the picture, as the battle for seeding could be pretty fierce if most of the conference’s top teams avoid a harsh drop in performance.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)