Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils tied a franchise low with 11 shots on goal in a 3-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings, so pointing fingers at the officials alone would be foolish. That doesn’t mean the Devils are happy with a controversial delay of game penalty on Cory Schneider, however.
Here’s video of the infraction:
DeBoer had a simple assessment regarding the penalty – which opened the door for a Red Wings goal – for The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
“I saw no penalty,” DeBoer said.
Here’s the exact language of the penalty that the Devils believed Schneider wasn’t guilty of (Rule 27.8):
27.8 Restricted Area – A goalkeeper shall not play the puck outside of the designated area behind the net. This area shall be defined by lines that begin six feet (6’) from either goal post and extend diagonally to points twenty-eight feet (28’) apart at the end boards. Should the goalkeeper play the puck outside of the designated area behind the goal line, a minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed. The determining factor shall be the position of the puck. The minor penalty will not be assessed when a goalkeeper plays the puck while maintaining skate contact with his goal crease.
That Tomas Tatar power-play goal made it 3-1 Red Wings with a little more than a minute left, so there’s no denying it was a big moment in the game. And it’s tough to deny the Devils’ complaints.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 11
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)