Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils tied a franchise low with 11 shots on goal in a 3-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings, so pointing fingers at the officials alone would be foolish. That doesn’t mean the Devils are happy with a controversial delay of game penalty on Cory Schneider, however.
Here’s video of the infraction:
DeBoer had a simple assessment regarding the penalty – which opened the door for a Red Wings goal – for The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
“I saw no penalty,” DeBoer said.
Here’s the exact language of the penalty that the Devils believed Schneider wasn’t guilty of (Rule 27.8):
27.8 Restricted Area – A goalkeeper shall not play the puck outside of the designated area behind the net. This area shall be defined by lines that begin six feet (6’) from either goal post and extend diagonally to points twenty-eight feet (28’) apart at the end boards. Should the goalkeeper play the puck outside of the designated area behind the goal line, a minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed. The determining factor shall be the position of the puck. The minor penalty will not be assessed when a goalkeeper plays the puck while maintaining skate contact with his goal crease.
That Tomas Tatar power-play goal made it 3-1 Red Wings with a little more than a minute left, so there’s no denying it was a big moment in the game. And it’s tough to deny the Devils’ complaints.
- Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 0
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 2
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 30
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)