Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils tied a franchise low with 11 shots on goal in a 3-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings, so pointing fingers at the officials alone would be foolish. That doesn’t mean the Devils are happy with a controversial delay of game penalty on Cory Schneider, however.
Here’s video of the infraction:
DeBoer had a simple assessment regarding the penalty – which opened the door for a Red Wings goal – for The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
“I saw no penalty,” DeBoer said.
Here’s the exact language of the penalty that the Devils believed Schneider wasn’t guilty of (Rule 27.8):
27.8 Restricted Area – A goalkeeper shall not play the puck outside of the designated area behind the net. This area shall be defined by lines that begin six feet (6’) from either goal post and extend diagonally to points twenty-eight feet (28’) apart at the end boards. Should the goalkeeper play the puck outside of the designated area behind the goal line, a minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed. The determining factor shall be the position of the puck. The minor penalty will not be assessed when a goalkeeper plays the puck while maintaining skate contact with his goal crease.
That Tomas Tatar power-play goal made it 3-1 Red Wings with a little more than a minute left, so there’s no denying it was a big moment in the game. And it’s tough to deny the Devils’ complaints.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 6
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)