Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils tied a franchise low with 11 shots on goal in a 3-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings, so pointing fingers at the officials alone would be foolish. That doesn’t mean the Devils are happy with a controversial delay of game penalty on Cory Schneider, however.
Here’s video of the infraction:
DeBoer had a simple assessment regarding the penalty – which opened the door for a Red Wings goal – for The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
“I saw no penalty,” DeBoer said.
Here’s the exact language of the penalty that the Devils believed Schneider wasn’t guilty of (Rule 27.8):
27.8 Restricted Area – A goalkeeper shall not play the puck outside of the designated area behind the net. This area shall be defined by lines that begin six feet (6’) from either goal post and extend diagonally to points twenty-eight feet (28’) apart at the end boards. Should the goalkeeper play the puck outside of the designated area behind the goal line, a minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed. The determining factor shall be the position of the puck. The minor penalty will not be assessed when a goalkeeper plays the puck while maintaining skate contact with his goal crease.
That Tomas Tatar power-play goal made it 3-1 Red Wings with a little more than a minute left, so there’s no denying it was a big moment in the game. And it’s tough to deny the Devils’ complaints.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 13
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 10
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 21
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)