Dec 6, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT
Once word broke that Sergei Bobrovsky would miss four-to-five weeks with a groin injury, many wondered if the Columbus Blue Jackets could trust journeyman backup Curtis McElhinney to carry the mail. He passed his first test on Friday.
McElhinney shut the Minnesota Wild out tonight as the Blue Jackets cruised to a 4-0 victory (Columbus generated a 41-20 shot disparity).
The Blue Jackets note that this is his first shutout in almost exactly two years. The 30-year-old is just 2-3-1 this season, yet he’s done well individually in his very limited opportunities. With Bobrovsky likely out until we hit 2014, this is a promising start, even if the numbers indicate that the Blue Jackets made life pretty easy for him.
That’s not necessarily a common theme of his recent life experiences, as McElhinney’s had a tough go of things even compared to other goalies who bounce between the NHL and AHL.
The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline adds background on the horrific injury McElhinney suffered two seasons ago, when he tore both his groin muscles and cracked his pubic symphysis.
He said: “It’s hard to do that short of an impact injury (car accident) or a freak accident. That’s coming apart like boiled chicken.”
— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) December 6, 2013
/Imagines PHT readers getting up from the kitchen table and sadly throwing boiled chicken meals in the trash …
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 0
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)