Dec 6, 2013, 2:15 AM EDT
The onslaught finally ended at eight goals.
The Colorado Avalanche got to within one goal of the Edmonton Oilers at one point in the second period and then fell apart, particularly in the third, in an 8-2 loss to begin a three-game road trip through Alberta and British Columbia.
Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov was kept in goal for each one of the eight goals allowed by Colorado. He made only 20 stops, as the Avalanche lost for only the second time in their last six games.
It’s easy to suggest Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy should’ve pulled Varlamov at some point in the third period. After all, Roy, one of the greatest goalies of all time, knows all too well what it’s like to be shelled like this.
He was famously traded from the Montreal Canadiens to the Avalanche after allowing nine goals in a loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Dec. 2, 1995, according to NHL.com game logs.
“I could have pulled Varly after the fourth goal, but I thought that would be so unfair,” Roy reasoned afterward, according to The Denver Post.
“They scored two breakaways, 2-on-1 situation, power play perfect shot, and bringing (Jean-Sebastien Giguere) in with three minutes left when it’s 5-2, I think it would have been unfair to him as well. He’s scheduled to play tomorrow. (If he) goes in cold, hurt his groin, we’re not in a better position. And to be honest with you, Varly has nothing to blame himself tonight.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)