Dec 6, 2013, 2:15 AM EDT
The onslaught finally ended at eight goals.
The Colorado Avalanche got to within one goal of the Edmonton Oilers at one point in the second period and then fell apart, particularly in the third, in an 8-2 loss to begin a three-game road trip through Alberta and British Columbia.
Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov was kept in goal for each one of the eight goals allowed by Colorado. He made only 20 stops, as the Avalanche lost for only the second time in their last six games.
It’s easy to suggest Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy should’ve pulled Varlamov at some point in the third period. After all, Roy, one of the greatest goalies of all time, knows all too well what it’s like to be shelled like this.
He was famously traded from the Montreal Canadiens to the Avalanche after allowing nine goals in a loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Dec. 2, 1995, according to NHL.com game logs.
“I could have pulled Varly after the fourth goal, but I thought that would be so unfair,” Roy reasoned afterward, according to The Denver Post.
“They scored two breakaways, 2-on-1 situation, power play perfect shot, and bringing (Jean-Sebastien Giguere) in with three minutes left when it’s 5-2, I think it would have been unfair to him as well. He’s scheduled to play tomorrow. (If he) goes in cold, hurt his groin, we’re not in a better position. And to be honest with you, Varly has nothing to blame himself tonight.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 5
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 3
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 8
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)