Dec 6, 2013, 2:15 AM EDT
The onslaught finally ended at eight goals.
The Colorado Avalanche got to within one goal of the Edmonton Oilers at one point in the second period and then fell apart, particularly in the third, in an 8-2 loss to begin a three-game road trip through Alberta and British Columbia.
Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov was kept in goal for each one of the eight goals allowed by Colorado. He made only 20 stops, as the Avalanche lost for only the second time in their last six games.
It’s easy to suggest Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy should’ve pulled Varlamov at some point in the third period. After all, Roy, one of the greatest goalies of all time, knows all too well what it’s like to be shelled like this.
He was famously traded from the Montreal Canadiens to the Avalanche after allowing nine goals in a loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Dec. 2, 1995, according to NHL.com game logs.
“I could have pulled Varly after the fourth goal, but I thought that would be so unfair,” Roy reasoned afterward, according to The Denver Post.
“They scored two breakaways, 2-on-1 situation, power play perfect shot, and bringing (Jean-Sebastien Giguere) in with three minutes left when it’s 5-2, I think it would have been unfair to him as well. He’s scheduled to play tomorrow. (If he) goes in cold, hurt his groin, we’re not in a better position. And to be honest with you, Varly has nothing to blame himself tonight.”
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 97
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 12
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (122)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)