Dec 6, 2013, 2:15 AM EDT
The onslaught finally ended at eight goals.
The Colorado Avalanche got to within one goal of the Edmonton Oilers at one point in the second period and then fell apart, particularly in the third, in an 8-2 loss to begin a three-game road trip through Alberta and British Columbia.
Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov was kept in goal for each one of the eight goals allowed by Colorado. He made only 20 stops, as the Avalanche lost for only the second time in their last six games.
It’s easy to suggest Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy should’ve pulled Varlamov at some point in the third period. After all, Roy, one of the greatest goalies of all time, knows all too well what it’s like to be shelled like this.
He was famously traded from the Montreal Canadiens to the Avalanche after allowing nine goals in a loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Dec. 2, 1995, according to NHL.com game logs.
“I could have pulled Varly after the fourth goal, but I thought that would be so unfair,” Roy reasoned afterward, according to The Denver Post.
“They scored two breakaways, 2-on-1 situation, power play perfect shot, and bringing (Jean-Sebastien Giguere) in with three minutes left when it’s 5-2, I think it would have been unfair to him as well. He’s scheduled to play tomorrow. (If he) goes in cold, hurt his groin, we’re not in a better position. And to be honest with you, Varly has nothing to blame himself tonight.”
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 6
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)