Dec 6, 2013, 2:15 AM EDT
The onslaught finally ended at eight goals.
The Colorado Avalanche got to within one goal of the Edmonton Oilers at one point in the second period and then fell apart, particularly in the third, in an 8-2 loss to begin a three-game road trip through Alberta and British Columbia.
Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov was kept in goal for each one of the eight goals allowed by Colorado. He made only 20 stops, as the Avalanche lost for only the second time in their last six games.
It’s easy to suggest Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy should’ve pulled Varlamov at some point in the third period. After all, Roy, one of the greatest goalies of all time, knows all too well what it’s like to be shelled like this.
He was famously traded from the Montreal Canadiens to the Avalanche after allowing nine goals in a loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Dec. 2, 1995, according to NHL.com game logs.
“I could have pulled Varly after the fourth goal, but I thought that would be so unfair,” Roy reasoned afterward, according to The Denver Post.
“They scored two breakaways, 2-on-1 situation, power play perfect shot, and bringing (Jean-Sebastien Giguere) in with three minutes left when it’s 5-2, I think it would have been unfair to him as well. He’s scheduled to play tomorrow. (If he) goes in cold, hurt his groin, we’re not in a better position. And to be honest with you, Varly has nothing to blame himself tonight.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)