Dec 5, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
To hear Alain Vigneault explain it, New York’s blueline has been disappointing this season, save for one guy: Ryan McDonagh.
“The only one on D, in my opinion, that has really not only has played up to expectations but you see a lot of upswings with is [Ryan] McDonagh,” Vigneault told the New York Post on Thursday. “All of the other guys, I think, have better to give.
“We’re going to need them to give better.”
Defensively, the group has performed reasonably well — but offensively, it’s given New York almost nothing. Marc Staal and Anton Stralman — both of whom have appeared in all 28 games — have combined for just two goals and six points this season. Dan Girardi, known as a defensive defenseman, is scoring at his usual clip (five points) but hasn’t stepped up in the wake of Del Zotto’s struggles. Neither has John Moore, also stuck on five points.
What seems to be bothering Vigneault is a lack of competition among the group. He bemoaned a lack of push to usurp McDonagh (who has 16 points in 28 games, and averages nearly 24 minutes a night), Girardi, Staal and Stralman from the top-four. Moore has been close on occasion, but has also been a healthy scratch at times. Vigneault does see some upside, however.
“The one that has proven that he is the closest is John Moore,” Vigneault explained. “John had maybe a little patch of more difficulties the last few games there, but he is a very young player with in our minds a tremendous amount of upside.
“If anybody would show us they deserve to play ahead of [our top four], I’d give them the ice time but nobody has really come up and played better than those guys.”
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)