Dec 5, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils suffered their league-leading fifth shootout loss to the Montreal Canadiens last night.
They have been thoroughly beaten in the skills competition so far, to the point where the only Devils player to actually convert on a shootout attempt was 20-year-old forward Reid Boucher in his NHL debut.
“It hasn’t been working, so we wanted to change some things up,” coach Pete DeBoer said of his decision to go with the rookie, according to the Bergen Record.
This has been an ongoing problem for the Devils, as they were 2-7 in the shortened campaign and have now suffered nine straight shootout defeats.
DeBoer, knowing his team’s history, finished the overtime period with only forwards on the ice in an attempt to end things there.
The Devils are currently tied with the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers for third place in the Metropolitan Division, although New Jersey has played in one more game than those teams. At this rate, New Jersey’s struggles in the shootout could be the difference between them making and missing the playoffs.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)