Dec 5, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils suffered their league-leading fifth shootout loss to the Montreal Canadiens last night.
They have been thoroughly beaten in the skills competition so far, to the point where the only Devils player to actually convert on a shootout attempt was 20-year-old forward Reid Boucher in his NHL debut.
“It hasn’t been working, so we wanted to change some things up,” coach Pete DeBoer said of his decision to go with the rookie, according to the Bergen Record.
This has been an ongoing problem for the Devils, as they were 2-7 in the shortened campaign and have now suffered nine straight shootout defeats.
DeBoer, knowing his team’s history, finished the overtime period with only forwards on the ice in an attempt to end things there.
The Devils are currently tied with the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers for third place in the Metropolitan Division, although New Jersey has played in one more game than those teams. At this rate, New Jersey’s struggles in the shootout could be the difference between them making and missing the playoffs.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)