Dec 5, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils suffered their league-leading fifth shootout loss to the Montreal Canadiens last night.
They have been thoroughly beaten in the skills competition so far, to the point where the only Devils player to actually convert on a shootout attempt was 20-year-old forward Reid Boucher in his NHL debut.
“It hasn’t been working, so we wanted to change some things up,” coach Pete DeBoer said of his decision to go with the rookie, according to the Bergen Record.
This has been an ongoing problem for the Devils, as they were 2-7 in the shortened campaign and have now suffered nine straight shootout defeats.
DeBoer, knowing his team’s history, finished the overtime period with only forwards on the ice in an attempt to end things there.
The Devils are currently tied with the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers for third place in the Metropolitan Division, although New Jersey has played in one more game than those teams. At this rate, New Jersey’s struggles in the shootout could be the difference between them making and missing the playoffs.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)