Dec 5, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils suffered their league-leading fifth shootout loss to the Montreal Canadiens last night.
They have been thoroughly beaten in the skills competition so far, to the point where the only Devils player to actually convert on a shootout attempt was 20-year-old forward Reid Boucher in his NHL debut.
“It hasn’t been working, so we wanted to change some things up,” coach Pete DeBoer said of his decision to go with the rookie, according to the Bergen Record.
This has been an ongoing problem for the Devils, as they were 2-7 in the shortened campaign and have now suffered nine straight shootout defeats.
DeBoer, knowing his team’s history, finished the overtime period with only forwards on the ice in an attempt to end things there.
The Devils are currently tied with the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers for third place in the Metropolitan Division, although New Jersey has played in one more game than those teams. At this rate, New Jersey’s struggles in the shootout could be the difference between them making and missing the playoffs.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 8
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 100
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (103)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)