Dec 5, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Despite third-degree assault charges hanging over his head, Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov remains fully in the mix to be the starting Russian netminder at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi.
Just ask his head coach.
“He’s probably going to be the No. 1 goalie for them in the Olympics, and he’ll be ready for it, no doubt in my mind,” Patrick Roy told the Denver Post. “If I was the Russian coach, I would use him, but I’m not.”
Of the three NHLers, Varlamov’s performance ranks well above the rest — he’s 13-6-0 this season with a 2.13 GAA and .933 save percentage and has played remarkably well despite his personal issues, posting a .924 save percentage in November while recording his first shutout of the year.
What’s more, Varlamov’s quest for the No. 1 gig has been aided by injuries to both Nabokov and Bobrovsky, both of whom are currently on IR.
He’s also won over Roy, who is extremely pleased with how the 25-year-old Russian has performed thus far.
“Right now, he’s working very hard,” Roy said. “He’s very focused and I think he’ll do a good job for them, depending on the decision of their coach.”
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)