Dec 5, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Despite third-degree assault charges hanging over his head, Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov remains fully in the mix to be the starting Russian netminder at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi.
Just ask his head coach.
“He’s probably going to be the No. 1 goalie for them in the Olympics, and he’ll be ready for it, no doubt in my mind,” Patrick Roy told the Denver Post. “If I was the Russian coach, I would use him, but I’m not.”
Of the three NHLers, Varlamov’s performance ranks well above the rest — he’s 13-6-0 this season with a 2.13 GAA and .933 save percentage and has played remarkably well despite his personal issues, posting a .924 save percentage in November while recording his first shutout of the year.
What’s more, Varlamov’s quest for the No. 1 gig has been aided by injuries to both Nabokov and Bobrovsky, both of whom are currently on IR.
He’s also won over Roy, who is extremely pleased with how the 25-year-old Russian has performed thus far.
“Right now, he’s working very hard,” Roy said. “He’s very focused and I think he’ll do a good job for them, depending on the decision of their coach.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)