Dec 5, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Despite third-degree assault charges hanging over his head, Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov remains fully in the mix to be the starting Russian netminder at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi.
Just ask his head coach.
“He’s probably going to be the No. 1 goalie for them in the Olympics, and he’ll be ready for it, no doubt in my mind,” Patrick Roy told the Denver Post. “If I was the Russian coach, I would use him, but I’m not.”
Of the three NHLers, Varlamov’s performance ranks well above the rest — he’s 13-6-0 this season with a 2.13 GAA and .933 save percentage and has played remarkably well despite his personal issues, posting a .924 save percentage in November while recording his first shutout of the year.
What’s more, Varlamov’s quest for the No. 1 gig has been aided by injuries to both Nabokov and Bobrovsky, both of whom are currently on IR.
He’s also won over Roy, who is extremely pleased with how the 25-year-old Russian has performed thus far.
“Right now, he’s working very hard,” Roy said. “He’s very focused and I think he’ll do a good job for them, depending on the decision of their coach.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)