Dec 5, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators won’t be getting Pekka Rinne (hip infection) back in the near future, but he is making progress. The team announced that the 31-year-old goaltender needs at least two more weeks of rehab and hopes to increase his workload on Dec. 20.
It’s not clear if that means he’s still a possibility to return around Christmas, as Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported last month.
The Nashville Predators entered this season betting heavily on Rinne and had planned to use backup Carter Hutton sparingly. However with Rinne sidelined, 22-year-old netminder Marek Mazanec has risen to the occasion.
Going into tonight’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes, Mazanec had a 2.09 GAA and .930 save percentage in 12 games. Before this season, he had been playing in the Czech league and had just five contests worth of AHL experience prior to his NHL debut.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)