Dec 5, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators won’t be getting Pekka Rinne (hip infection) back in the near future, but he is making progress. The team announced that the 31-year-old goaltender needs at least two more weeks of rehab and hopes to increase his workload on Dec. 20.
It’s not clear if that means he’s still a possibility to return around Christmas, as Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported last month.
The Nashville Predators entered this season betting heavily on Rinne and had planned to use backup Carter Hutton sparingly. However with Rinne sidelined, 22-year-old netminder Marek Mazanec has risen to the occasion.
Going into tonight’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes, Mazanec had a 2.09 GAA and .930 save percentage in 12 games. Before this season, he had been playing in the Czech league and had just five contests worth of AHL experience prior to his NHL debut.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)