Dec 5, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Barkov, 18, was selected second overall in this summer’s NHL Draft and has four goals and 10 points so far this season.
Barkov’s last shift of Florida’s 5-2 win over the Jets came before the midway point of the third period. It hasn’t been determined just how this injury occurred.
Still just a teenager, Barkov is still eligible to play for Finland in the 2014 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship.
However, Panthers general manager Dale Tallon recently made it clear Barkov would not be released to Finland for the annual U-20 tournament.
“There’s no way he’s going anywhere but here,” Tallon said recently. “We have to let him grow. He’s a big part of our future and our present.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)