Dec 5, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Barkov, 18, was selected second overall in this summer’s NHL Draft and has four goals and 10 points so far this season.
Barkov’s last shift of Florida’s 5-2 win over the Jets came before the midway point of the third period. It hasn’t been determined just how this injury occurred.
Still just a teenager, Barkov is still eligible to play for Finland in the 2014 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship.
However, Panthers general manager Dale Tallon recently made it clear Barkov would not be released to Finland for the annual U-20 tournament.
“There’s no way he’s going anywhere but here,” Tallon said recently. “We have to let him grow. He’s a big part of our future and our present.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)