Dec 5, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Barkov, 18, was selected second overall in this summer’s NHL Draft and has four goals and 10 points so far this season.
Barkov’s last shift of Florida’s 5-2 win over the Jets came before the midway point of the third period. It hasn’t been determined just how this injury occurred.
Still just a teenager, Barkov is still eligible to play for Finland in the 2014 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship.
However, Panthers general manager Dale Tallon recently made it clear Barkov would not be released to Finland for the annual U-20 tournament.
“There’s no way he’s going anywhere but here,” Tallon said recently. “We have to let him grow. He’s a big part of our future and our present.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)