Dec 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
From the Canadian Press:
City council in Markham, Ont., voted 11-2 Wednesday night against using any public funds to build an NHL-sized arena.
The vote effectively kills a proposed financial framework with businessman Graham Roustan, the CEO of GTA Sports and Entertainment.
The proposed plan was to have Roustan’s company put up half of the cost, $162.5 million, for a 20,000 set arena while the city would cover the other half.
But it’s not quite the end of the story, according to the Markham Economist & Sun:
An amendment that gave GTA Sports & Entertainment or, notably, any other private partners six months to come forward with proof of funds for the full $325-million to finance the project was carried in a vote of 12-1…
The proposed arena — with no guarantee of an NHL tenant — has been a highly controversial topic in the Toronto suburb, with some in the media, as well as local residents, coming down hard on the project, in particular the financial framework of the project.
From the Globe and Mail:
Roustan can still pursue an arena deal, but without any financial guarantees from the city, his proposed GTA Centre is on life support. However, he said he can still come up with $162.5-million and hopes the anonymous developers who were part of the second MOU or other private investors can provide the rest.
But, he admitted, if no other investors surface in six months “yeah, it’s over. It’s always been that way.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)