Dec 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
Tyler Bozak‘s nightmare campaign continued on Thursday, as the Leafs announced an MRI revealed his injury to be a strained oblique muscle — one that will keep him out of the Toronto lineup for an “extended period” of time.
Bozak, 27, only recently returned from a lower-body ailment that cost him 12 games. Considering he also missed Toronto’s final two playoff games with a different injury, it’s safe to say that ’13 has been a somewhat forgettable year — aside from the fact he signed a five-year, $21 million extension with Toronto in July.
The Bozak injury further depletes Toronto’s depth at forward. Dave Bolland will be out for the foreseeable future with a severed Achilles tendon, Joffrey Lupul is on IR with a groin strain and Colton Orr is out with an elbow injury.
In a related move, Toronto called up center Jerry D’Amigo from the AHL Marlies on Thursday.
UPDATE: The Leafs have placed Bozak on injured reserve.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)