Dec 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
Tyler Bozak‘s nightmare campaign continued on Thursday, as the Leafs announced an MRI revealed his injury to be a strained oblique muscle — one that will keep him out of the Toronto lineup for an “extended period” of time.
Bozak, 27, only recently returned from a lower-body ailment that cost him 12 games. Considering he also missed Toronto’s final two playoff games with a different injury, it’s safe to say that ’13 has been a somewhat forgettable year — aside from the fact he signed a five-year, $21 million extension with Toronto in July.
The Bozak injury further depletes Toronto’s depth at forward. Dave Bolland will be out for the foreseeable future with a severed Achilles tendon, Joffrey Lupul is on IR with a groin strain and Colton Orr is out with an elbow injury.
In a related move, Toronto called up center Jerry D’Amigo from the AHL Marlies on Thursday.
UPDATE: The Leafs have placed Bozak on injured reserve.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)