Dec 5, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, but Darren Helm is hurt.
The oft-injured Red Wings forward won’t travel with the club for Friday’s game in New Jersey because of a shoulder injury, according to MLive.com.
Helm is scheduled to undergo a MRI today to figure out the extent of damage.
The 26-year-old speedster has had absolutely no luck with his health this year. He missed 47 regular season and all 14 playoff games during the lockout-shortened campaign with a back injury, then another 14 this year with the same issue.
What makes this latest setback so frustrating for Detroit is that Helm provided a huge spark upon his return. He scored seven goals and 10 points in 15 games, and was on pace to break his career high of 12 goals, set in the 2010-11 campaign.
The injury also compounds Detroit’s troublesome injury situation. Henrik Zetterberg is out for at least two weeks with a back ailment, Pavel Datsyuk is day-to-day (head) and Danny DeKeyser is on LTIR with a separated shoulder.
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 3
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 9
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 24
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 84
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 99
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)