Dec 5, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, but Darren Helm is hurt.
The oft-injured Red Wings forward won’t travel with the club for Friday’s game in New Jersey because of a shoulder injury, according to MLive.com.
Helm is scheduled to undergo a MRI today to figure out the extent of damage.
The 26-year-old speedster has had absolutely no luck with his health this year. He missed 47 regular season and all 14 playoff games during the lockout-shortened campaign with a back injury, then another 14 this year with the same issue.
What makes this latest setback so frustrating for Detroit is that Helm provided a huge spark upon his return. He scored seven goals and 10 points in 15 games, and was on pace to break his career high of 12 goals, set in the 2010-11 campaign.
The injury also compounds Detroit’s troublesome injury situation. Henrik Zetterberg is out for at least two weeks with a back ailment, Pavel Datsyuk is day-to-day (head) and Danny DeKeyser is on LTIR with a separated shoulder.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11