Dec 5, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, but Darren Helm is hurt.
The oft-injured Red Wings forward won’t travel with the club for Friday’s game in New Jersey because of a shoulder injury, according to MLive.com.
Helm is scheduled to undergo a MRI today to figure out the extent of damage.
The 26-year-old speedster has had absolutely no luck with his health this year. He missed 47 regular season and all 14 playoff games during the lockout-shortened campaign with a back injury, then another 14 this year with the same issue.
What makes this latest setback so frustrating for Detroit is that Helm provided a huge spark upon his return. He scored seven goals and 10 points in 15 games, and was on pace to break his career high of 12 goals, set in the 2010-11 campaign.
The injury also compounds Detroit’s troublesome injury situation. Henrik Zetterberg is out for at least two weeks with a back ailment, Pavel Datsyuk is day-to-day (head) and Danny DeKeyser is on LTIR with a separated shoulder.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 42
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)