Dec 5, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, but Darren Helm is hurt.
The oft-injured Red Wings forward won’t travel with the club for Friday’s game in New Jersey because of a shoulder injury, according to MLive.com.
Helm is scheduled to undergo a MRI today to figure out the extent of damage.
The 26-year-old speedster has had absolutely no luck with his health this year. He missed 47 regular season and all 14 playoff games during the lockout-shortened campaign with a back injury, then another 14 this year with the same issue.
What makes this latest setback so frustrating for Detroit is that Helm provided a huge spark upon his return. He scored seven goals and 10 points in 15 games, and was on pace to break his career high of 12 goals, set in the 2010-11 campaign.
The injury also compounds Detroit’s troublesome injury situation. Henrik Zetterberg is out for at least two weeks with a back ailment, Pavel Datsyuk is day-to-day (head) and Danny DeKeyser is on LTIR with a separated shoulder.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 4
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 22
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)