Dec 5, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, but Darren Helm is hurt.
The oft-injured Red Wings forward won’t travel with the club for Friday’s game in New Jersey because of a shoulder injury, according to MLive.com.
Helm is scheduled to undergo a MRI today to figure out the extent of damage.
The 26-year-old speedster has had absolutely no luck with his health this year. He missed 47 regular season and all 14 playoff games during the lockout-shortened campaign with a back injury, then another 14 this year with the same issue.
What makes this latest setback so frustrating for Detroit is that Helm provided a huge spark upon his return. He scored seven goals and 10 points in 15 games, and was on pace to break his career high of 12 goals, set in the 2010-11 campaign.
The injury also compounds Detroit’s troublesome injury situation. Henrik Zetterberg is out for at least two weeks with a back ailment, Pavel Datsyuk is day-to-day (head) and Danny DeKeyser is on LTIR with a separated shoulder.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 53
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 34
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (53)