Dec 5, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
It appears Mike Green and Adam Oates aren’t exactly on the same page when it comes to sparking the Caps.
In the wake of Tuesday’s listless 4-1 defeat to Carolina, Green said someone needed to “get in a fight or throw a big check that maybe would have turned the momentum around.”
To which Oates replied, why not you?
“Why didn’t he do it?” Oates told CSN Washington. “Talk’s cheap. You’re talking to a guy who could not say that. In 1,500 games I could never say that because I was not the guy who could go out and [fight], so I would never say it.”
This is the latest chapter in Oates voicing his opinions on Green through the media. Earlier this week, he suggested that Green stop worrying about scoring goals (he notched his first of the season against Carolina) and focus on other aspects of his game.
“For me it’s his touches and his decisions,” Oates said, as per the Washington Post. “If you’re pressing to get a goal you’re going to skate at opportunities you’re not supposed to skate at and not wait for it at the right time, and I felt his reads were just a little off.”
Following Green’s first of the year, Oates said he was pleased it was out of the way.
“You know as a smaller subplot it’s obviously good for him,” Oates said. “It’s obviously been something that we’ve talked about a lot.”
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 24
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 51
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)