Dec 5, 2013, 5:19 PM EST
It appears Mike Green and Adam Oates aren’t exactly on the same page when it comes to sparking the Caps.
In the wake of Tuesday’s listless 4-1 defeat to Carolina, Green said someone needed to “get in a fight or throw a big check that maybe would have turned the momentum around.”
To which Oates replied, why not you?
“Why didn’t he do it?” Oates told CSN Washington. “Talk’s cheap. You’re talking to a guy who could not say that. In 1,500 games I could never say that because I was not the guy who could go out and [fight], so I would never say it.”
This is the latest chapter in Oates voicing his opinions on Green through the media. Earlier this week, he suggested that Green stop worrying about scoring goals (he notched his first of the season against Carolina) and focus on other aspects of his game.
“For me it’s his touches and his decisions,” Oates said, as per the Washington Post. “If you’re pressing to get a goal you’re going to skate at opportunities you’re not supposed to skate at and not wait for it at the right time, and I felt his reads were just a little off.”
Following Green’s first of the year, Oates said he was pleased it was out of the way.
“You know as a smaller subplot it’s obviously good for him,” Oates said. “It’s obviously been something that we’ve talked about a lot.”
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 4
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 26
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16