Dec 5, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
It appears Mike Green and Adam Oates aren’t exactly on the same page when it comes to sparking the Caps.
In the wake of Tuesday’s listless 4-1 defeat to Carolina, Green said someone needed to “get in a fight or throw a big check that maybe would have turned the momentum around.”
To which Oates replied, why not you?
“Why didn’t he do it?” Oates told CSN Washington. “Talk’s cheap. You’re talking to a guy who could not say that. In 1,500 games I could never say that because I was not the guy who could go out and [fight], so I would never say it.”
This is the latest chapter in Oates voicing his opinions on Green through the media. Earlier this week, he suggested that Green stop worrying about scoring goals (he notched his first of the season against Carolina) and focus on other aspects of his game.
“For me it’s his touches and his decisions,” Oates said, as per the Washington Post. “If you’re pressing to get a goal you’re going to skate at opportunities you’re not supposed to skate at and not wait for it at the right time, and I felt his reads were just a little off.”
Following Green’s first of the year, Oates said he was pleased it was out of the way.
“You know as a smaller subplot it’s obviously good for him,” Oates said. “It’s obviously been something that we’ve talked about a lot.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)