Dec 5, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
It appears Mike Green and Adam Oates aren’t exactly on the same page when it comes to sparking the Caps.
In the wake of Tuesday’s listless 4-1 defeat to Carolina, Green said someone needed to “get in a fight or throw a big check that maybe would have turned the momentum around.”
To which Oates replied, why not you?
“Why didn’t he do it?” Oates told CSN Washington. “Talk’s cheap. You’re talking to a guy who could not say that. In 1,500 games I could never say that because I was not the guy who could go out and [fight], so I would never say it.”
This is the latest chapter in Oates voicing his opinions on Green through the media. Earlier this week, he suggested that Green stop worrying about scoring goals (he notched his first of the season against Carolina) and focus on other aspects of his game.
“For me it’s his touches and his decisions,” Oates said, as per the Washington Post. “If you’re pressing to get a goal you’re going to skate at opportunities you’re not supposed to skate at and not wait for it at the right time, and I felt his reads were just a little off.”
Following Green’s first of the year, Oates said he was pleased it was out of the way.
“You know as a smaller subplot it’s obviously good for him,” Oates said. “It’s obviously been something that we’ve talked about a lot.”
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)