Dec 5, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Isles rolling with Nilsson
Looks like the Islanders have a new go-to netminder.
Anders Nilsson will start for the third straight time on Thursday when New York takes on the Blues in St. Louis. The Swedish netminder played well in his last outing — stopping 31 of 34 shots in a 3-2 OT loss to Pittsburgh — and appears to have the upper hand (for now) on Kevin Poulin for the Isles’ No. 1 goalie gig.
Nilsson will go up against Jaroslav Halak tonight in the St. Louis goal.
Peters back for Carolina
Interesting decision from ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller, who will go with Justin Peters for the second straight game tonight in Nashville. Peters stopped 26 of 27 shots in a 4-1 win over Washington on Tuesday — so he’s certainly full value for another start — but it is curious to see him go over Cam Ward, who has been very solid since coming back from injury.
Nashville has not yet named a starter for tonight, though it’s likely reigning rookie of the month Marek Mazanec will get the nod.
Rangers at Sabres: Henrik Lundqvist goes for New York, his first start after signing a seven-year, $59.5 million deal yesterday. No word on who Buffalo will counter with.
Jets at Panthers: Tim Thomas is confirmed for Florida, no word yet on a Winnipeg starter.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)