Dec 5, 2013, 2:03 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Isles rolling with Nilsson
Looks like the Islanders have a new go-to netminder.
Anders Nilsson will start for the third straight time on Thursday when New York takes on the Blues in St. Louis. The Swedish netminder played well in his last outing — stopping 31 of 34 shots in a 3-2 OT loss to Pittsburgh — and appears to have the upper hand (for now) on Kevin Poulin for the Isles’ No. 1 goalie gig.
Nilsson will go up against Jaroslav Halak tonight in the St. Louis goal.
Peters back for Carolina
Interesting decision from ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller, who will go with Justin Peters for the second straight game tonight in Nashville. Peters stopped 26 of 27 shots in a 4-1 win over Washington on Tuesday — so he’s certainly full value for another start — but it is curious to see him go over Cam Ward, who has been very solid since coming back from injury.
Nashville has not yet named a starter for tonight, though it’s likely reigning rookie of the month Marek Mazanec will get the nod.
Rangers at Sabres: Henrik Lundqvist goes for New York, his first start after signing a seven-year, $59.5 million deal yesterday. No word on who Buffalo will counter with.
Jets at Panthers: Tim Thomas is confirmed for Florida, no word yet on a Winnipeg starter.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4