Dec 5, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Isles rolling with Nilsson
Looks like the Islanders have a new go-to netminder.
Anders Nilsson will start for the third straight time on Thursday when New York takes on the Blues in St. Louis. The Swedish netminder played well in his last outing — stopping 31 of 34 shots in a 3-2 OT loss to Pittsburgh — and appears to have the upper hand (for now) on Kevin Poulin for the Isles’ No. 1 goalie gig.
Nilsson will go up against Jaroslav Halak tonight in the St. Louis goal.
Peters back for Carolina
Interesting decision from ‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller, who will go with Justin Peters for the second straight game tonight in Nashville. Peters stopped 26 of 27 shots in a 4-1 win over Washington on Tuesday — so he’s certainly full value for another start — but it is curious to see him go over Cam Ward, who has been very solid since coming back from injury.
Nashville has not yet named a starter for tonight, though it’s likely reigning rookie of the month Marek Mazanec will get the nod.
Rangers at Sabres: Henrik Lundqvist goes for New York, his first start after signing a seven-year, $59.5 million deal yesterday. No word on who Buffalo will counter with.
Jets at Panthers: Tim Thomas is confirmed for Florida, no word yet on a Winnipeg starter.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)