Dec 5, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks didn’t live up to the billing levied upon them by Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma.
The Sharks gave up four goals in the second period and lost to the Penguins by a final score of 5-1 on Thursday, not long after Bylsma heaped praise on them for being the “best team in the league right now.”
Sidney Crosby, who many would state is the best player in the world, had three assists to lead the Penguins’ offensive attack. He now has a league-leading 41 points on the season.
The Penguins erupted for four goals in the second period, chasing Antti Niemi from the San Jose net. Interesting, because the Sharks had 24 shots in the middle frame, but scored only once.
Marc-Andre Fleury made 44 saves for his 16th win of the season.
Penguins forward Pascal Dupuis, who opened the scoring, played only two shifts in the second period, and didn’t see the ice after that. So far, there has been no explanation as to why he left the game.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (118)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)