Dec 5, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
On top of Boston Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk being taken off on a stretcher and Dallas Stars blueliner Trevor Daley suffering a lower-body injury, it looks like Victor Hedman‘s night might be done.
The Lightning defenseman logged just 5:39 minutes before exiting the game. Tampa Bay revealed Hedman has a lower-body injury and termed his chances of returning for the third period as doubtful.
The 2009 second overall pick had six goals and 15 points in 27 games while averaging 21:54 minutes before tonight’s contest.
Hedman’s injury is just the latest in a long line of setbacks for the Lightning this season. They entered Thursday’s game against the Ottawa Senators without Steve Stamkos, Eric Brewer, and Ryan Malone. Tampa Bay hasn’t been able to overcome its injury troubles so far, as evidenced by its recent 2-5-1 record.
That being said, the Lightning do have a 2-1 lead over the Ottawa Senators through 40 minutes.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 7
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13