Dec 5, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
On top of Boston Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk being taken off on a stretcher and Dallas Stars blueliner Trevor Daley suffering a lower-body injury, it looks like Victor Hedman‘s night might be done.
The Lightning defenseman logged just 5:39 minutes before exiting the game. Tampa Bay revealed Hedman has a lower-body injury and termed his chances of returning for the third period as doubtful.
The 2009 second overall pick had six goals and 15 points in 27 games while averaging 21:54 minutes before tonight’s contest.
Hedman’s injury is just the latest in a long line of setbacks for the Lightning this season. They entered Thursday’s game against the Ottawa Senators without Steve Stamkos, Eric Brewer, and Ryan Malone. Tampa Bay hasn’t been able to overcome its injury troubles so far, as evidenced by its recent 2-5-1 record.
That being said, the Lightning do have a 2-1 lead over the Ottawa Senators through 40 minutes.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 33
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 23
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 31
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)