Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Sabres captain Steve Ott would consider re-signing in Buffalo; he’s just not sure if he’ll get the chance as the club undergoes a rebuild under new management.
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?” said Ott, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. “We understand the whole asset side of things. Myself, [Ryan Miller] and [Matt Moulson] are the unrestricted guys in this dressing room, and we’re going to probably cause a little stir because of where we are—in a rebuilding atmosphere we’re usually guys (the team) will get pieces for. Otherwise, that’s bad business.”
Ott, 31, only has three goals and four assists in 28 games. But the veteran center can do other things, like win faceoffs and hit, two qualities that could make him an attractive rental for a playoff contender.
Ott is in the final year of a four-year contract that has a cap hit of $2.95 million.
Of note, the Sabres traded their previous full-time captain in April, when Jason Pominville was dealt to the Wild. Ott was given the full-time C in October, after co-captain Thomas Vanek was traded to the Isles.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)