Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Sabres captain Steve Ott would consider re-signing in Buffalo; he’s just not sure if he’ll get the chance as the club undergoes a rebuild under new management.
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?” said Ott, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. “We understand the whole asset side of things. Myself, [Ryan Miller] and [Matt Moulson] are the unrestricted guys in this dressing room, and we’re going to probably cause a little stir because of where we are—in a rebuilding atmosphere we’re usually guys (the team) will get pieces for. Otherwise, that’s bad business.”
Ott, 31, only has three goals and four assists in 28 games. But the veteran center can do other things, like win faceoffs and hit, two qualities that could make him an attractive rental for a playoff contender.
Ott is in the final year of a four-year contract that has a cap hit of $2.95 million.
Of note, the Sabres traded their previous full-time captain in April, when Jason Pominville was dealt to the Wild. Ott was given the full-time C in October, after co-captain Thomas Vanek was traded to the Isles.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)