Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Sabres captain Steve Ott would consider re-signing in Buffalo; he’s just not sure if he’ll get the chance as the club undergoes a rebuild under new management.
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?” said Ott, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. “We understand the whole asset side of things. Myself, [Ryan Miller] and [Matt Moulson] are the unrestricted guys in this dressing room, and we’re going to probably cause a little stir because of where we are—in a rebuilding atmosphere we’re usually guys (the team) will get pieces for. Otherwise, that’s bad business.”
Ott, 31, only has three goals and four assists in 28 games. But the veteran center can do other things, like win faceoffs and hit, two qualities that could make him an attractive rental for a playoff contender.
Ott is in the final year of a four-year contract that has a cap hit of $2.95 million.
Of note, the Sabres traded their previous full-time captain in April, when Jason Pominville was dealt to the Wild. Ott was given the full-time C in October, after co-captain Thomas Vanek was traded to the Isles.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)