Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Sabres captain Steve Ott would consider re-signing in Buffalo; he’s just not sure if he’ll get the chance as the club undergoes a rebuild under new management.
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?” said Ott, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. “We understand the whole asset side of things. Myself, [Ryan Miller] and [Matt Moulson] are the unrestricted guys in this dressing room, and we’re going to probably cause a little stir because of where we are—in a rebuilding atmosphere we’re usually guys (the team) will get pieces for. Otherwise, that’s bad business.”
Ott, 31, only has three goals and four assists in 28 games. But the veteran center can do other things, like win faceoffs and hit, two qualities that could make him an attractive rental for a playoff contender.
Ott is in the final year of a four-year contract that has a cap hit of $2.95 million.
Of note, the Sabres traded their previous full-time captain in April, when Jason Pominville was dealt to the Wild. Ott was given the full-time C in October, after co-captain Thomas Vanek was traded to the Isles.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)