Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
While Sportsnet’s John Shannon notes that the Buffalo Sabres are being coy about it, Mikhail Grabovski made it pretty clear on his Facebook page that he’s playing for Russia in the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championship tournament alongside his Buffalo teammate Nikita Zadorov:
It wouldn’t be surprising if the Sabres brass is privately pleased with this move, which wasn’t a certainty as Grigorenko wasn’t officially named to Russia’s pre-tournament camp.
They tried to demote him to the AHL on Nov. 20, but the NHL rejected their bid to give the 19-year-old a “conditioning assignment.” So maybe go overseas to Sweden to play in this tournament could be a useful “conditioning assignment”?
Sure, it’s probably a level or three below the competition he’d see as a temporary member of the Rochester Americans, yet it opens up a spot for the Sabres to work with. The Buffalo News reports that Cody McCormick would be the likely guy to take Grigorenko’s spot.
Update Dec. 5, 11:53 a.m.
The Sabres have made an official announcement that Grigorenko will be joining Team Russia.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)