Dec 4, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
On Tuesday, Hockey Canada announced it will “most probably” release its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics on Jan. 7, according to CBC.
“Th deadline being backed up to the 7th is really beneficial for us,” Canada head coach Mike Babcock told CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada Radio. “We get to watch these players make these decisions for us longer.
“We want to be right.”
News of the unveiling comes one week after the IIHF extended its original Olympic roster deadline (Dec. 31), reportedly at the behest of Russia, Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic — countries that pushed for an even longer deadline extension (Jan. 15).
Aiming to split the difference between the original date and the proposed one, the IIHF picked Jan. 7.
There appears to be no major significance to the Jan. 7 date in terms of the NHL calendar. There are 10 games on that date, so it will be busy in terms of news — but not all countries are waiting until the 7th to announce.
According to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston, USA Hockey is “definitely” sticking to its Jan. 1 date of unveiling its Olympic roster, in conjunction with the 2014 Winter Classic at the Big House in Ann Arbor.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)