Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
The Nashville Predators face significant uncertainty about the health of franchise cornerstones Pekka Rinne (hip infection) and Shea Weber (eye injury). They know that Weber won’t play on Thursday and could also know a lot more about Rinne’s situation, as the Tennessean reports that the goalie’s MRI is coming up tomorrow.
Back in early November, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported that Rinne, 31, would probably be back around Dec. 25. Tomorrow’s results might clarify if that estimate was accurate or not.
The Predators originally went with Carter Hutton in net, but Marek Mazanec snared the temporary starting job, playing well enough to earn rookie of the month honors in November.
His record might be mediocre at 5-5-1, but his .930 save percentage argues that it hasn’t been because of poor goaltending. Even so, the Czech goalie is largely unproven, so Nashville would prefer to have its $7 million netminder in action.
Weber, 28, will miss his third game in a row as the Predators face the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday. Nashville has dropped three games in a row, leaving the Predators’ record at 13-12-3.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 53
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)