Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators face significant uncertainty about the health of franchise cornerstones Pekka Rinne (hip infection) and Shea Weber (eye injury). They know that Weber won’t play on Thursday and could also know a lot more about Rinne’s situation, as the Tennessean reports that the goalie’s MRI is coming up tomorrow.
Back in early November, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported that Rinne, 31, would probably be back around Dec. 25. Tomorrow’s results might clarify if that estimate was accurate or not.
The Predators originally went with Carter Hutton in net, but Marek Mazanec snared the temporary starting job, playing well enough to earn rookie of the month honors in November.
His record might be mediocre at 5-5-1, but his .930 save percentage argues that it hasn’t been because of poor goaltending. Even so, the Czech goalie is largely unproven, so Nashville would prefer to have its $7 million netminder in action.
Weber, 28, will miss his third game in a row as the Predators face the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday. Nashville has dropped three games in a row, leaving the Predators’ record at 13-12-3.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)