Dec 4, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
After a 13-game audition with Toronto, Jerred Smithson could be on his way out of town.
The veteran center was placed on waivers Wednesday, the Maple Leafs announced. Head coach Randy Carlyle was blunt in both his assessment of and reasoning behind the move.
“We felt we have players ahead of him,” Carlyle said, as per Sportsnet’s Fan 590. “Simple as that.”
Smithson, 34, signed with the Leafs in early November after a successful tryout with the AHL Marlies. Toronto was dealing with major issues at the center position at the time of the deal — Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland were both out of action — and Smithson went on to appear in 13 games for Toronto, failing to register a point while averaging 10:20 TOI per game.
Putting Smithson on waivers is somewhat surprising, given Bozak suffered another injury during Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to San Jose. Bozak is expected to undergo an MRI today and if he’s unable to play, the Leafs would be left with Nazem Kadri, Trevor Smith, Peter Holland and Jay McClement as its top four centers.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)