Dec 4, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
After a 13-game audition with Toronto, Jerred Smithson could be on his way out of town.
The veteran center was placed on waivers Wednesday, the Maple Leafs announced. Head coach Randy Carlyle was blunt in both his assessment of and reasoning behind the move.
“We felt we have players ahead of him,” Carlyle said, as per Sportsnet’s Fan 590. “Simple as that.”
Smithson, 34, signed with the Leafs in early November after a successful tryout with the AHL Marlies. Toronto was dealing with major issues at the center position at the time of the deal — Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland were both out of action — and Smithson went on to appear in 13 games for Toronto, failing to register a point while averaging 10:20 TOI per game.
Putting Smithson on waivers is somewhat surprising, given Bozak suffered another injury during Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to San Jose. Bozak is expected to undergo an MRI today and if he’s unable to play, the Leafs would be left with Nazem Kadri, Trevor Smith, Peter Holland and Jay McClement as its top four centers.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 8
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 7
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 93
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (93)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)