Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
Through two periods, Brian Gionta‘s 1-0 goal represented all the scoring in Wednesday’s eventual Montreal Canadiens’ 4-3 shootout win against the New Jersey Devils.
The third period featured a relative explosion of action, especially in the last minute, when New Jersey generated a 3-2 lead that evaporated 30 seconds later.
Here’s Patrik Elias goal, which came with 1:06 left in the third:
It seemed like that might be the game-winner, but that wasn’t the case, as David Desharnais tied it up with 37 seconds left:
Desharnais notched the difference-maker in the shootout, too, as he joined Lars Eller as Montreal’s scorers in that format.
With this come-from-behind win, Montreal has now won three in a row and seven of its last eight games to improve to 17-9-3. They have a nice chance to continue their forward momentum, at least short-term, as they play their next three games in Montreal. (Things get hairy after that, however, as they play eight of 10 games on the road from Dec. 12 – Jan. 2.)
The Devils dropped this home-and-home with Montreal after winning two in a row, leaving the Devils at 11-13-5. Perhaps things will run more smoothly if they can hypnotize Michael Ryder into thinking he’s facing his former team every night; he scored a goal against the Habs on Monday and had a goal and an assist against them tonight.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)