Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
Through two periods, Brian Gionta‘s 1-0 goal represented all the scoring in Wednesday’s eventual Montreal Canadiens’ 4-3 shootout win against the New Jersey Devils.
The third period featured a relative explosion of action, especially in the last minute, when New Jersey generated a 3-2 lead that evaporated 30 seconds later.
Here’s Patrik Elias goal, which came with 1:06 left in the third:
It seemed like that might be the game-winner, but that wasn’t the case, as David Desharnais tied it up with 37 seconds left:
Desharnais notched the difference-maker in the shootout, too, as he joined Lars Eller as Montreal’s scorers in that format.
With this come-from-behind win, Montreal has now won three in a row and seven of its last eight games to improve to 17-9-3. They have a nice chance to continue their forward momentum, at least short-term, as they play their next three games in Montreal. (Things get hairy after that, however, as they play eight of 10 games on the road from Dec. 12 – Jan. 2.)
The Devils dropped this home-and-home with Montreal after winning two in a row, leaving the Devils at 11-13-5. Perhaps things will run more smoothly if they can hypnotize Michael Ryder into thinking he’s facing his former team every night; he scored a goal against the Habs on Monday and had a goal and an assist against them tonight.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)