Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
Through two periods, Brian Gionta‘s 1-0 goal represented all the scoring in Wednesday’s eventual Montreal Canadiens’ 4-3 shootout win against the New Jersey Devils.
The third period featured a relative explosion of action, especially in the last minute, when New Jersey generated a 3-2 lead that evaporated 30 seconds later.
Here’s Patrik Elias goal, which came with 1:06 left in the third:
It seemed like that might be the game-winner, but that wasn’t the case, as David Desharnais tied it up with 37 seconds left:
Desharnais notched the difference-maker in the shootout, too, as he joined Lars Eller as Montreal’s scorers in that format.
With this come-from-behind win, Montreal has now won three in a row and seven of its last eight games to improve to 17-9-3. They have a nice chance to continue their forward momentum, at least short-term, as they play their next three games in Montreal. (Things get hairy after that, however, as they play eight of 10 games on the road from Dec. 12 – Jan. 2.)
The Devils dropped this home-and-home with Montreal after winning two in a row, leaving the Devils at 11-13-5. Perhaps things will run more smoothly if they can hypnotize Michael Ryder into thinking he’s facing his former team every night; he scored a goal against the Habs on Monday and had a goal and an assist against them tonight.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)