Dec 4, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the Detroit Red Wings hosting the Philadelphia Flyers starting at 8 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• The Red Wings will be without both Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk for the first time since the regular-season finale of the 2005-06 season (April 18, 2006). Since then, the Wings have the most wins in the NHL (regular-season and playoffs combined).
Detroit Red Wings 395
Pittsburgh Penguins 392
San Jose Sharks 384
Chicago Blackhawks 361
Vancouver Canucks 361
• When Red Wings winger Daniel Alfredsson scored an empty-net goal in Ottawa on Sunday, it not only marked his first career goal against the team with which he spent 17 seasons, it also meant he has at least one goal versus all 30 NHL teams. Thirty-two other active skaters have accomplished this feat, including two others on tonight’s teams’ rosters: Todd Bertuzzi and Vincent Lecavalier. (Elias Sports Bureau)
• Flyers goaltender Steve Mason (26 regular-season games) and Wild goaltender Josh Harding (25) have the NHL’s two longest active streaks of holding their opponents to three or fewer goals. Among all NHL netminders, only Mason, Harding, Peter Budaj (17) and Ben Scrivens (16) have active streaks over 15.
• The Red Wings are one of only four NHL teams in the top-ten in both power-play (21.4%, 7th) and penalty-kill (86.9%, 2nd) efficiency. The others are Montreal, Pittsburgh and St. Louis.
• Out of the 13 teams with 35 or more points this season, Detroit has the most home losses (10: four in regulation, three in overtime, three in the shootout). In fact, only Buffalo (12), the N.Y. Islanders (11), Florida (10) Ottawa (10) and Carolina (10) have as many home losses as the Wings.
• A win by the Red Wings would be career win #460 for coach Mike Babcock, which would push him into a tie for 21st on the all-time coaching wins with Paul Maurice, who led Carolina to the 2002 Stanley Cup vs. the Wings, and Hall of Famer Roger Neilson, who led the Flyers from 1998-2000.
• The Flyers’ 2.07 goals/game is the second fewest in the NHL this season, ahead of only Buffalo (1.61). They have been in the top ten in that category in each of the previous six seasons. Since the league expanded to 30 teams in 2000, the lowest the Flyers have finished is 23rd (2.60 goals/gm, 2006-2007).
• The Flyers lead the NHL in penalty minutes (447). Conversely, the Red Wings rank 27th, with 250. Opposing teams have committed 407 minutes worth of penalties against the Flyers, while Wings opponents have only been in the “sin bin” for 221.
• Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall brings a six-game point streak (two goals and seven assists-nine points) into tonight’s game, matching the longest streak of his career (Nov. 27-Dec. 9, 2007). The NHL’s Second Star of last week has multiple points in each of his last three games – all Red Wings wins – and now ranks 5th among NHL defensemen with 21 points (3-18-21).
• The Red Wings have lost their last 11 overtime games at Joe Louis Arena, dating back to their regular season finale in the 2011-12 season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)