Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers finally fought back after trailing in a contest heading into a third period and won just their second game in Detroit in 24 years on Wednesday, battling back from a 3-1 second-period deficit to beat the Red Wings 6-3.
Yes, you could definitely say it was an unusual win for Philly.
The Flyers’ special teams was the most obvious difference-maker, as they went three-for-three on the power play while their penalty kill took care of six out of seven Detroit opportunities.
It’s easy to key on Claude Giroux‘s resurgent top line, as he scored a goal and an assist while Scott Hartnell generated three points. The Flyers are reaping the rewards of Steve Downie‘s return, too, as he’s combining with Matt Read and Sean Couturier to give Philly a dangerous 1-2 line bunch.
All three of Couturier (two goals – including the clinching tally – and two assists), Read (one goal, two assists) and Downie (one goal, one assist) found the net at least once on Wednesday.
With this win, the Flyers are now 13-13-2 on the season. They’ve won three out of four games and six out of their last nine.
The Red Wings saw their four-game winning streak come to an end as they lick their wounds with key players such as Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg on the mend. At least it appears that Justin Abdelkader is OK after taking this hit:
That’s not to say that Detroit is smiling too widely about its health …
Tomas Tatar reports he lost three teeth tonight
— Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) December 5, 2013
The Red Wings are still among the East’s better teams at 14-8-7, although they need to turn things around at home, as tonight’s loss leaves them with a strange 5-5-6 record at Joe Louis Arena.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EST
Also, Brad Marchand’s off IR.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
Another veteran d-man gets a look.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Combined cap hit? $1.76 million.
Combined points? 34.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
Tonight on NBCSN.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 24, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Yes, that picture is a hint.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Habs sit atop the NHL standings, yet face a bunch of questions.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Injured during Saturday’s win over Detroit.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Dustin Schwartz will replace Frederic Chabot.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
There’s a headline I never expected to type.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:09 PM EST
Just his second NHL game of the season.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Canucks rookie who models his game after Jonathan Toews has four points in his last two games.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:12 AM EST
Click for video of said “mistake.”
Nov 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Two-time Jack Adams winner coached Canada to Olympic gold in 2002.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
The new Holmstrom?
Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
The latter’s in response to Roman Polak’s injury.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
The Penguins in general have been spending a lot of time in the sin bin.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
He’ll be in Tampa Bay for the first time since the move on Wednesday.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
David Pastrnak might make his NHL debut.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:02 AM EST
Monday’s collection of links.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)