Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers finally fought back after trailing in a contest heading into a third period and won just their second game in Detroit in 24 years on Wednesday, battling back from a 3-1 second-period deficit to beat the Red Wings 6-3.
Yes, you could definitely say it was an unusual win for Philly.
The Flyers’ special teams was the most obvious difference-maker, as they went three-for-three on the power play while their penalty kill took care of six out of seven Detroit opportunities.
It’s easy to key on Claude Giroux‘s resurgent top line, as he scored a goal and an assist while Scott Hartnell generated three points. The Flyers are reaping the rewards of Steve Downie‘s return, too, as he’s combining with Matt Read and Sean Couturier to give Philly a dangerous 1-2 line bunch.
All three of Couturier (two goals – including the clinching tally – and two assists), Read (one goal, two assists) and Downie (one goal, one assist) found the net at least once on Wednesday.
With this win, the Flyers are now 13-13-2 on the season. They’ve won three out of four games and six out of their last nine.
The Red Wings saw their four-game winning streak come to an end as they lick their wounds with key players such as Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg on the mend. At least it appears that Justin Abdelkader is OK after taking this hit:
That’s not to say that Detroit is smiling too widely about its health …
Tomas Tatar reports he lost three teeth tonight
— Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) December 5, 2013
The Red Wings are still among the East’s better teams at 14-8-7, although they need to turn things around at home, as tonight’s loss leaves them with a strange 5-5-6 record at Joe Louis Arena.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
That’s him in the blue shirt, standing next to ex-NHL goalie Dan Cloutier… who is 6’1.
Jul 6, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
Spent last year with Colorado’s AHL affiliate.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
Click for all the cap hits.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
His Kelowna Rockets went to the 2015 Memorial Cup.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
“You basically say, ‘I have no idea what’s going on, but it’s a great place to play and we have great fans and a great stadium.'”
Jul 6, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Played 59 games for the Sabres last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
“He gets to come in and have a heck of a year and put the screws to us.”
Jul 6, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
They have the arena, but not the potential owner.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Finished with a career-high 18 goals last season in Vancouver.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:58 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The 23-year-old could be in line for a significant raise.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He struggled in his first year pro split between the AHL and ECHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
He was bought out by Carolina last week.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
He’ll make $650,000 at the NHL level and $250,000 in the AHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Hearings will take place in Toronto from July 20 to August 4
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s reportedly a two-way contract worth $600,000.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
The deal will reportedly pay him $4.1 million next season.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
His peak came in 2013-14: 19 goals, 51 points.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Perhaps Blue Jackets prospects can learn from his scrappy ways.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)