Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers finally fought back after trailing in a contest heading into a third period and won just their second game in Detroit in 24 years on Wednesday, battling back from a 3-1 second-period deficit to beat the Red Wings 6-3.
Yes, you could definitely say it was an unusual win for Philly.
The Flyers’ special teams was the most obvious difference-maker, as they went three-for-three on the power play while their penalty kill took care of six out of seven Detroit opportunities.
It’s easy to key on Claude Giroux‘s resurgent top line, as he scored a goal and an assist while Scott Hartnell generated three points. The Flyers are reaping the rewards of Steve Downie‘s return, too, as he’s combining with Matt Read and Sean Couturier to give Philly a dangerous 1-2 line bunch.
All three of Couturier (two goals – including the clinching tally – and two assists), Read (one goal, two assists) and Downie (one goal, one assist) found the net at least once on Wednesday.
With this win, the Flyers are now 13-13-2 on the season. They’ve won three out of four games and six out of their last nine.
The Red Wings saw their four-game winning streak come to an end as they lick their wounds with key players such as Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg on the mend. At least it appears that Justin Abdelkader is OK after taking this hit:
That’s not to say that Detroit is smiling too widely about its health …
Tomas Tatar reports he lost three teeth tonight
— Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) December 5, 2013
The Red Wings are still among the East’s better teams at 14-8-7, although they need to turn things around at home, as tonight’s loss leaves them with a strange 5-5-6 record at Joe Louis Arena.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Warning: it’s a bloody scene for Ceci.
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
Mar 10, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
But how does creating a long change in overtime sound?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Starting tonight in Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
A home game vs. Washington, which will also mark Dustin Penner’s return to Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
“It’s a bad position, I guess.”
Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Veteran winger won’t play tonight vs. Phoenix.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The 13th overall pick in the 2010 draft.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Tough blow for Montreal.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
With Jay Beagle and Tom Wilson.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Deadline deal could end up being a masterstroke.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Columbus is fighting hard for a spot in the postseason.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 34
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)