Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers finally fought back after trailing in a contest heading into a third period and won just their second game in Detroit in 24 years on Wednesday, battling back from a 3-1 second-period deficit to beat the Red Wings 6-3.
Yes, you could definitely say it was an unusual win for Philly.
The Flyers’ special teams was the most obvious difference-maker, as they went three-for-three on the power play while their penalty kill took care of six out of seven Detroit opportunities.
It’s easy to key on Claude Giroux‘s resurgent top line, as he scored a goal and an assist while Scott Hartnell generated three points. The Flyers are reaping the rewards of Steve Downie‘s return, too, as he’s combining with Matt Read and Sean Couturier to give Philly a dangerous 1-2 line bunch.
All three of Couturier (two goals – including the clinching tally – and two assists), Read (one goal, two assists) and Downie (one goal, one assist) found the net at least once on Wednesday.
With this win, the Flyers are now 13-13-2 on the season. They’ve won three out of four games and six out of their last nine.
The Red Wings saw their four-game winning streak come to an end as they lick their wounds with key players such as Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg on the mend. At least it appears that Justin Abdelkader is OK after taking this hit:
That’s not to say that Detroit is smiling too widely about its health …
Tomas Tatar reports he lost three teeth tonight
— Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) December 5, 2013
The Red Wings are still among the East’s better teams at 14-8-7, although they need to turn things around at home, as tonight’s loss leaves them with a strange 5-5-6 record at Joe Louis Arena.
May 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
At one point 14 squads were believed to be interested in his services.
May 3, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
There are three contests scheduled for Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first time he’s out of the lineup since the start of the 2014-15 campaign.
May 3, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Exactly when that will be remains to be seen.
May 3, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
It’s rarely easy for young stars.
May 3, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
He’s working nicely with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry.
May 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Both were at least some risk of missing Game 2.
May 3, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Still zero goals and just three assists for the star sniper.
May 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Blackhawks fans probably remember him.
May 3, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Brandon Saad: “We have to regroup, refocus and get the job done.”
May 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
It’s unclear if this is injury-related.
May 3, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Three games for a pretty busy Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Yeah, it was quite a goal from No. 8.
May 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Didn’t waste time getting on the board in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
But it doesn’t sound like there will be a dramatic, sudden return.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
“You only have one life, enjoy it.”
May 2, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Without a goal in this post-season.
May 2, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Minnesota almost completed the comeback in Game 1.
May 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
“Since the voting period began, we’ve received an astounding 20.4 million votes…”
May 2, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
The Caps were out-shot 15-4 and out-scored 2-0 in the opening 20.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)