Dec 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT
The numbers were against the Philadelphia Flyers as they entered the third period down 3-2 against the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday, but they stormed back to win 6-3. To Sean Couturier, it was all about confidence, something he relayed to the assembled media including the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
“It’s good for our confidence, and that’s why we won tonight,” Couturier said. “We’re starting to believe in ourselves.”
More specifically, Couturier might have more belief in himself.
The 20-year-old collected a career-high four points tonight (two goals, two assists) as the first-rounder seems to be finding his offensive groove on what’s becoming a formidable second line with Matt Read and Steve Downie. NHL Network’s Matt Sitkoff points out that the trio has generated a whopping 27 points in the last 10 games.
The Flyers now find themselves with 28 points (13-13-3), which leaves them just outside the sickly East’s top eight (the New York Rangers get the tie-breaker because they have more wins).
If their recent work is any indication, Philly might be tougher – or at least more confident – than its overall record implies.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 3
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 11
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)