Dec 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT
The numbers were against the Philadelphia Flyers as they entered the third period down 3-2 against the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday, but they stormed back to win 6-3. To Sean Couturier, it was all about confidence, something he relayed to the assembled media including the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
“It’s good for our confidence, and that’s why we won tonight,” Couturier said. “We’re starting to believe in ourselves.”
More specifically, Couturier might have more belief in himself.
The 20-year-old collected a career-high four points tonight (two goals, two assists) as the first-rounder seems to be finding his offensive groove on what’s becoming a formidable second line with Matt Read and Steve Downie. NHL Network’s Matt Sitkoff points out that the trio has generated a whopping 27 points in the last 10 games.
The Flyers now find themselves with 28 points (13-13-3), which leaves them just outside the sickly East’s top eight (the New York Rangers get the tie-breaker because they have more wins).
If their recent work is any indication, Philly might be tougher – or at least more confident – than its overall record implies.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)