Dec 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT
The numbers were against the Philadelphia Flyers as they entered the third period down 3-2 against the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday, but they stormed back to win 6-3. To Sean Couturier, it was all about confidence, something he relayed to the assembled media including the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
“It’s good for our confidence, and that’s why we won tonight,” Couturier said. “We’re starting to believe in ourselves.”
More specifically, Couturier might have more belief in himself.
The 20-year-old collected a career-high four points tonight (two goals, two assists) as the first-rounder seems to be finding his offensive groove on what’s becoming a formidable second line with Matt Read and Steve Downie. NHL Network’s Matt Sitkoff points out that the trio has generated a whopping 27 points in the last 10 games.
The Flyers now find themselves with 28 points (13-13-3), which leaves them just outside the sickly East’s top eight (the New York Rangers get the tie-breaker because they have more wins).
If their recent work is any indication, Philly might be tougher – or at least more confident – than its overall record implies.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 3
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 35
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)