Dec 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
The numbers were against the Philadelphia Flyers as they entered the third period down 3-2 against the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday, but they stormed back to win 6-3. To Sean Couturier, it was all about confidence, something he relayed to the assembled media including the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
“It’s good for our confidence, and that’s why we won tonight,” Couturier said. “We’re starting to believe in ourselves.”
More specifically, Couturier might have more belief in himself.
The 20-year-old collected a career-high four points tonight (two goals, two assists) as the first-rounder seems to be finding his offensive groove on what’s becoming a formidable second line with Matt Read and Steve Downie. NHL Network’s Matt Sitkoff points out that the trio has generated a whopping 27 points in the last 10 games.
The Flyers now find themselves with 28 points (13-13-3), which leaves them just outside the sickly East’s top eight (the New York Rangers get the tie-breaker because they have more wins).
If their recent work is any indication, Philly might be tougher – or at least more confident – than its overall record implies.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)