Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
It was a long shot anyway, but Aleksander Barkov definitely won’t be playing in his third straight World Junior Hockey Championship.
Barkov, who represented Finland in the last two tourneys, will not be released from the Florida Panthers to play in this year’s event, GM Dale Tallon told the Miami Herald on Wednesday.
“There’s no way he’s going anywhere but here,” Tallon said. “We have to let him grow. He’s a big part of our future and our present.”
Barkov, 18, has 10 points through 28 games this year for Florida and sits fourth among all rookie forwards in TOI per game (16:55). The No. 2 overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft also sits first among all first-year players in faceoffs taken (403) and second in winning percentage (50.6).
Barkov isn’t the only Finnish NHLer eligible for this year’s tournament. Pittsburgh defenseman Olli Maatta could go, but that seems extremely unlikely given he’s a regular fixture on the Pens’ blueline.
Rasmus Ristolainen, Buffalo’s first-round choice at the ’13 NHL Entry Draft, is also eligible. He’s currently playing for AHL Rochester and dealing with an injury, though.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 3
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 5
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)