Dec 4, 2013, 11:28 AM EST
Cory Emmerton didn’t have many issues getting into the Red Wings lineup over the last two seasons.
This year, though, has been different.
The 25-year-old forward will play just his fifth game this season when the Wings host the Flyers on Wednesday, this after appearing in all 48 games last season and 71 of 82 during the 2011-12 campaign.
Emmerton was a casualty of Detroit’s cap crunch to start this year and was sent to AHL Grand Rapids as the club tried to deal with its glut of forwards (16 currently under contract.) He fared well with the Griffins, scoring 14 points in 18 games, and will have a big opportunity against Philadelphia given the fact three key Detroit forwards — Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Todd Bertuzzi — are on the shelf with various injuries.
According to head coach Mike Babcock, Emmerton will center Dan Cleary and Mikael Samuelsson on a line, which means the slumping Stephen Weiss — who has just two goals and three points in 22 games this year — moves up to center Johan Franzen and Gustav Nyquist.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)