Dec 4, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
Cory Emmerton didn’t have many issues getting into the Red Wings lineup over the last two seasons.
This year, though, has been different.
The 25-year-old forward will play just his fifth game this season when the Wings host the Flyers on Wednesday, this after appearing in all 48 games last season and 71 of 82 during the 2011-12 campaign.
Emmerton was a casualty of Detroit’s cap crunch to start this year and was sent to AHL Grand Rapids as the club tried to deal with its glut of forwards (16 currently under contract.) He fared well with the Griffins, scoring 14 points in 18 games, and will have a big opportunity against Philadelphia given the fact three key Detroit forwards — Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Todd Bertuzzi — are on the shelf with various injuries.
According to head coach Mike Babcock, Emmerton will center Dan Cleary and Mikael Samuelsson on a line, which means the slumping Stephen Weiss — who has just two goals and three points in 22 games this year — moves up to center Johan Franzen and Gustav Nyquist.
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 7
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 14
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 25
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)