Eberle fumes after Oilers loss: ‘We have to find a way to win battles’

Dec 4, 2013, 12:46 AM EDT

ebelevyotesgetty Getty Images

The Phoenix Coyotes trounced the Edmonton Oilers 6-2 on Tuesday, prompting an angry assessment from players and coaches. Jordan Eberle‘s comments just happened to be the most entertaining.

“You look at every one of their goals and we lost a battle,” Eberle said. “That [blanks] you off. We have to find a way to win battles.”

(It looks like Eberle was losing a battle in this post’s main image, by the way.)

Taylor Hall remarked that the Oilers “unraveled” in the third.

Some might call it “winning battles,” but head coach Dallas Eakins seems to believe it was more about shoddy defensive play.

“That’s about as bad as I’ve seen three or four of our defensemen play, and it cost us,” Eakins said.

It almost sounds like a losing battle.

1. canucks30 - Dec 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM

If Oilers fans are getting pessimistic, just remember that the Vancouver Canucks once endured 15 consecutive losing seasons.

2. wallio - Dec 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Seriously, everybody knew and everybody accepted it as long as the money came in, in both hockey and especially football. Help we knew when I played (both) years and years ago, and we didn’t care. And we didn’t even get paid, we just wanted to hit something! These athletes blew all their money and now being broke are quick to sue. Sad state of America I’m afraid.

• stepanup - Dec 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I understand your point about athletes not having the same motivation. I’m not sure I agree with it because only Edmonton seems to have this problem, to this extent. However, I have to point out that America’s team won this game. Sad state of Canada, I’m afraid.

• hockey412 - Dec 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Am I the only one struggling to piece together what the hell this comment is trying to say in relation to this article?

• hockey412 - Dec 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Ahhhhh – wait – this is supposed to be related to the NHL being sued…I think I got it. I’ve had comments get posted to the wrong article myself.

3. darksidecowboy - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM