Dec 4, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings brought a battered squad to NBCSN’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers (currently in progress), but there might be some light at the end of the tunnel. NHL.com reports that Pavel Datsyuk (concussion) and Danny DeKeyser (shoulder) participated in the team’s morning skate on Wednesday.
Datsyuk, 35, is missing his fifth consecutive game with those concussion symptoms, yet he seems optimistic about improved health … although he’s not going to rush back with a head injury.
“With head, yeah [I feel close], but I’m not doing it in one week,” Datsyuk said. “[I’m] trying to be safe … need to come back in shape.”
DeKeyser, 23, may face a larger window of recovery as he recovers from his shoulder injury; it’s possible that he may not play again until the 2014 Winter Classic on Jan. 1. Still, he was also positive about his range of motion while passing the puck.
“I’ve got a lot of range of motion right now and it seems to be getting a little bit stronger every day, and I’m just trying to rehab it and get stronger as fast as I can,” DeKeyser said. “I just started to pass the puck. I can’t really shoot it quite yet so that just will kind of come over time with strength. We’ll see. It seems like it’s healing up well.”
With worrisome news for other staples such as Henrik Zetterberg (back), it’s nice for Detroit to have a positive side to look on. Even if they’ll need to be patient.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5