Chicago shuffle: Pirri and Kostka down, Morin and Nordstrom up

Dec 4, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT

BrandonPirri Getty Images

Fresh off one of their most successful Circus Trips ever, the Blackhawks made some roster moves.

Forward Brandon Pirri and defenseman Mike Kostka have been sent to AHL Rockford, the club announced, while forwards Jeremy Morin and Joakim Nordstrom are on their way up from the IceHogs.

Demoting Pirri is the most notable move (Kostka, who has been injured, is going down on a conditioning stint). The 22-year-old notched 11 points through 24 games but has struggled lately — he failed to score a single point on the seven-game Circus Trip and had a rough time in Tuesday’s 4-3 loss to Dallas, losing 11 of 14 faceoffs.

Morin has been up and down a few times this season. A quality AHL scorer — he had 30 goals in 67 games last year — he’s already notched three assists in nine games for the ‘Hawks this season.

Nordstrom, who made the team out of training camp, appeared in eight games to start the year before being dispatched to Rockford, where he’s scored five goals in 15 games.

1. esracerx46 - Dec 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Pirri hasn’t played poorly. His defensive game is much better than what it was, but his offensive game has taken a hit. I’m glad to see Morin up, Nordstrom does nothing for me. With Kostka going down, it makes me feel real good knowing the Hawks kept him over Ryan Stanton. I know its a conditioning stint, but I still like what Stanton brings.

2. Jackson Scofield - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM

There is absolutely no benefit to Pirri’s development left in the AHL, he’s already dominated that level, and he isn’t hurting the team much by being up here and we’re still winning with him, and even in last night’s loss, we outshot Dallas 50-18. Nice to see Morin anyway.

• esracerx46 - Dec 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Could work on faceoffs.

3. muckleflugga - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM

shots on goal…the rallying cry of the loser…

i lost count of the times we heard that from canucks supporters during the peak of their misguided arrogance over on the tsn boards

with average goaltending, all your opposition needs is one clean look, and it’s lights out if your gunners can’t hit theirs…not unusual in a league full of big-bodied defensive-minded teams

boston, chicago, montreal, san jose and toronto…all teams incapable of giving their opposition its due, win or lose [ wait, wait...i feel the barf meter taching redline ]

as scotty bowman stated, statistics are for losers

• hawksin5 - Dec 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Muckle you are a moron. Average goaltending? Misguided arrogance? The sharks, Canucks, maple leafs, Canadians? I’m sorry but do 2 cups and #1 in NHL right now not speak for themselves?

• blackhawksdynasty - Dec 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Muckle is the former @highcountrybear who went into permanent hibernation when Chicago ousted Detroit last year. The fool thinks he can hide behind a different name, but we all know who he is….just a very jealous loser who has to eat his words when the Hawks make him look stupid (not that he needs any help in that department) Just ignore him like his mom always did.

4. shanesander - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Brandon Pirri’s name makes me always think of Nandos Chicken and their Peri Peri Fries..

5. hammerhead5573 - Dec 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Nice Dynasty, and you 100% accurate. It was right after the Hawks beat Detroit that we lost the poetry. How sad is that, that you have to change the user name thinking no-one will notice. I’m changing mine to hammer, no-one will notice

6. muckleflugga - Dec 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM

hammerhead5573

to put you girls at ease, i was happily traveling in china before the wings hawks series hit game two

i was surprised to learn grand rapids pushed chicago to a seventh game overtime…weak goal on an injured howard

in detroit, nobody makes excuses

in chicago, you’d have been swimming in jonathan’s tears

7. dt58 - Dec 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t “weak goal on an injured Howard” an excuse? Funny, couldn’t even make it through 1 post without contradicting yourself.

• hammerhead5573 - Dec 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM

dt58 – I nearly soiled myself laughing at this comment.

8. hammerhead5573 - Dec 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Ok Bear this is about as nice as I will be. I gotta give it to you. You are persistent. I rarely will ever agree with you but it is what it is. You hate the Hawks, that’s cool. I don’t like a lot of teams too. Everyone here including myself, talks nonsense. For your part, I think deep down you have some interesting points. Do they carry on too long????? Yes but still interesting. Ok that’s as nice as I will be. Going forward, can’t promise that. Long live Wayne Presley

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D