Dec 4, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
Tampa defenseman Eric Brewer was a late scratch from Tuesday’s 1-0 loss to Columbus, and it appears his ailment could keep him out for more than just one game.
“He tweaked something, so we’ll see,” Lightning head coach Jon Cooper told the Tampa Tribune.
When asked if there was concern about Brewer missing more than just the Jackets game, Cooper replied “yes, there’s lots of concern.”
Brewer, 34, had appeared in every game for Tampa Bay prior to last night, notching five assists while averaging 16:25 TOI per game.
While his minutes have decreased notably since last season — he averaged 20:31 during the lockout-shortened campaign — Brewer remains a veteran leader on the team and is one of the few Lightning players to have served as a NHL captain (he wore the “C” in St. Louis for three seasons.)
The Lightning said Brewer will be reevaluated prior to Thursday’s game against Ottawa. Should he be unable to go, Brewer would join a huge list of injured Bolts players, one that includes Radko Gudas (upper body), Ryan Malone (fractured ankle), Steven Stamkos (broken leg), Tom Pyatt (broken collarbone) and Pierre-Cedric Labrie (arm).
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)