Dec 3, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings suffered another injury blow on Tuesday, as GM Ken Holland announced leading scorer Henrik Zetterberg would be out at least two weeks with a back injury.
Zetterberg, 33, is now on the shelf alongside the club’s second-leading scorer — Pavel Datsyuk — who is day-to-day with a head injury suffered over the weekend, and is doubtful for Wednesday’s game against the Flyers.
It’s unclear exactly when Zetterberg suffered his injury. He was absolutely lights-out during November, scoring 18 points in 14 games, but was held scoreless in back-to-back wins over the Islanders and Senators (he did play nearly 20 minutes in Ottawa, though.)
These aren’t the only injuries Detroit’s dealing with at the moment. Todd Bertuzzi has been sidelined with a bruised shoulder and defenseman Danny DeKeyser is on long-term injured reserve with a separated left shoulder.
As for Zetterberg, it looks as though he’ll miss around eight games with his back problem. The Wings have a pretty compressed schedule over the next two weeks, including a stretch from Dec. 10-17 where they play five times in seven eight nights.
UPDATE: Head coach Mike Babcock confirmed Bertuzzi won’t return for Wednesday’s game against Philly.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)