Dec 3, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings suffered another injury blow on Tuesday, as GM Ken Holland announced leading scorer Henrik Zetterberg would be out at least two weeks with a back injury.
Zetterberg, 33, is now on the shelf alongside the club’s second-leading scorer — Pavel Datsyuk — who is day-to-day with a head injury suffered over the weekend, and is doubtful for Wednesday’s game against the Flyers.
It’s unclear exactly when Zetterberg suffered his injury. He was absolutely lights-out during November, scoring 18 points in 14 games, but was held scoreless in back-to-back wins over the Islanders and Senators (he did play nearly 20 minutes in Ottawa, though.)
These aren’t the only injuries Detroit’s dealing with at the moment. Todd Bertuzzi has been sidelined with a bruised shoulder and defenseman Danny DeKeyser is on long-term injured reserve with a separated left shoulder.
As for Zetterberg, it looks as though he’ll miss around eight games with his back problem. The Wings have a pretty compressed schedule over the next two weeks, including a stretch from Dec. 10-17 where they play five times in seven eight nights.
UPDATE: Head coach Mike Babcock confirmed Bertuzzi won’t return for Wednesday’s game against Philly.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 53
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 44
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (55)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)