Dec 3, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings suffered another injury blow on Tuesday, as GM Ken Holland announced leading scorer Henrik Zetterberg would be out at least two weeks with a back injury.
Zetterberg, 33, is now on the shelf alongside the club’s second-leading scorer — Pavel Datsyuk — who is day-to-day with a head injury suffered over the weekend, and is doubtful for Wednesday’s game against the Flyers.
It’s unclear exactly when Zetterberg suffered his injury. He was absolutely lights-out during November, scoring 18 points in 14 games, but was held scoreless in back-to-back wins over the Islanders and Senators (he did play nearly 20 minutes in Ottawa, though.)
These aren’t the only injuries Detroit’s dealing with at the moment. Todd Bertuzzi has been sidelined with a bruised shoulder and defenseman Danny DeKeyser is on long-term injured reserve with a separated left shoulder.
As for Zetterberg, it looks as though he’ll miss around eight games with his back problem. The Wings have a pretty compressed schedule over the next two weeks, including a stretch from Dec. 10-17 where they play five times in seven eight nights.
UPDATE: Head coach Mike Babcock confirmed Bertuzzi won’t return for Wednesday’s game against Philly.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)