Dec 3, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings suffered another injury blow on Tuesday, as GM Ken Holland announced leading scorer Henrik Zetterberg would be out at least two weeks with a back injury.
Zetterberg, 33, is now on the shelf alongside the club’s second-leading scorer — Pavel Datsyuk — who is day-to-day with a head injury suffered over the weekend, and is doubtful for Wednesday’s game against the Flyers.
It’s unclear exactly when Zetterberg suffered his injury. He was absolutely lights-out during November, scoring 18 points in 14 games, but was held scoreless in back-to-back wins over the Islanders and Senators (he did play nearly 20 minutes in Ottawa, though.)
These aren’t the only injuries Detroit’s dealing with at the moment. Todd Bertuzzi has been sidelined with a bruised shoulder and defenseman Danny DeKeyser is on long-term injured reserve with a separated left shoulder.
As for Zetterberg, it looks as though he’ll miss around eight games with his back problem. The Wings have a pretty compressed schedule over the next two weeks, including a stretch from Dec. 10-17 where they play five times in seven eight nights.
UPDATE: Head coach Mike Babcock confirmed Bertuzzi won’t return for Wednesday’s game against Philly.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)