Dec 3, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings suffered another injury blow on Tuesday, as GM Ken Holland announced leading scorer Henrik Zetterberg would be out at least two weeks with a back injury.
Zetterberg, 33, is now on the shelf alongside the club’s second-leading scorer — Pavel Datsyuk — who is day-to-day with a head injury suffered over the weekend, and is doubtful for Wednesday’s game against the Flyers.
It’s unclear exactly when Zetterberg suffered his injury. He was absolutely lights-out during November, scoring 18 points in 14 games, but was held scoreless in back-to-back wins over the Islanders and Senators (he did play nearly 20 minutes in Ottawa, though.)
These aren’t the only injuries Detroit’s dealing with at the moment. Todd Bertuzzi has been sidelined with a bruised shoulder and defenseman Danny DeKeyser is on long-term injured reserve with a separated left shoulder.
As for Zetterberg, it looks as though he’ll miss around eight games with his back problem. The Wings have a pretty compressed schedule over the next two weeks, including a stretch from Dec. 10-17 where they play five times in seven eight nights.
UPDATE: Head coach Mike Babcock confirmed Bertuzzi won’t return for Wednesday’s game against Philly.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)