Dec 3, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
The LA Kings signed Jeff Schultz this summer for defensive depth purposes and now, the move is paying off.
Regehr briefly left the Blues game at the end of the first period, but finished with 16:26 TOI and is “ready to go” for tonight’s game against Anaheim, according to Darryl Sutter. As such, it’s unlikely Schultz will get into the lineup, but could stick around for a while as the club was down to just six healthy defensemen prior to the recall.
In order to clear room for Schultz, the Kings sent Tanner Pearson down to the Monarchs.
As for Schultz… the 27-year-old was bought out of his four-year, $11 million deal (one year, $3 million in salary remaining) with Washington in July after requesting a trade — to which the Caps found no takers.
He averaged career-low 14:15 in ice time during the 2013 season and became increasingly frustrated with his role on the team. Following his buyout, Schultz signed a one-year, $700,000 deal with L.A.
He has yet to make his Kings debut.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)