Dec 3, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
The LA Kings signed Jeff Schultz this summer for defensive depth purposes and now, the move is paying off.
Regehr briefly left the Blues game at the end of the first period, but finished with 16:26 TOI and is “ready to go” for tonight’s game against Anaheim, according to Darryl Sutter. As such, it’s unlikely Schultz will get into the lineup, but could stick around for a while as the club was down to just six healthy defensemen prior to the recall.
In order to clear room for Schultz, the Kings sent Tanner Pearson down to the Monarchs.
As for Schultz… the 27-year-old was bought out of his four-year, $11 million deal (one year, $3 million in salary remaining) with Washington in July after requesting a trade — to which the Caps found no takers.
He averaged career-low 14:15 in ice time during the 2013 season and became increasingly frustrated with his role on the team. Following his buyout, Schultz signed a one-year, $700,000 deal with L.A.
He has yet to make his Kings debut.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)