Dec 3, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
After bailing Nashville out of a potentially disastrous goaltending situation, Marek Mazanec has been named the NHL’s rookie of the month for November.
Mazanec, 22, was projected to back up Carter Hutton after Hutton inherited Nashville’s No. 1 goalie gig from the injured Pekka Rinne. But when Hutton proved incapable of carrying the load, Preds head coach Barry Trotz gave Manzanec a shot — and the rookie delivered.
Mazanec, who made his NHL debut on Nov. 8, posted a 5-4-1 record with a 2.00 GAA and .932 save percentage last month. What’s more, he posted a pair of shutouts and kept Nashville in the playoff picture, as the Preds currently sit just five points back of Phoenix for the second and final wild card berth.
The Czech netminder edged out a number of worthy rookies for this month’s award, including Chris Kreider (13 points in 15 games, including his first career hat trick), Tomas Hertl (10 points in 13 games) and Torey Krug (nine points in 15 games).
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)