Dec 3, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
Florida head coach Peter Horachek made good on his threat Tuesday, making defenseman Dmitry Kulikov a healthy scratch after hinting the 23-year-old was on his way to the press box.
“Yeah,” Horachek replied when asked about dropping Kulikov from the lineup following a poor game on Saturday against Pittsburgh.
“I think we’re at that point.”
On Monday, Horachek backed off that proclamation, praising Kulikov’s talent while getting veteran defenseman Ed Jovanovski to work with the Russian rearguard.
But on Tuesday, Horachek followed through on his original statement and dropped Kulikov from the lineup for tonight’s affair against Ottawa. It’s the first game Kulikov will miss this season, a development that appears to have caught him off guard.
“I don’t think I was playing bad enough to get thrown out of the lineup, but it’s the coach’s decision,” he explained. “I was surprised.”
Given Florida’s position in the standings and GM Dale Tallon’s assertion that he’s open for business, it’s likely this decision will lead to speculation about Kulikov’s future.
The former first-round pick is averaging close to 20 minutes per night and is in the last of a two-year, $5 million extension. While talented, he appears to have regressed over the last two seasons after a tremendous sophomore campaign (26 points in 72 games) and third year (in which he scored a career-high 28 points in just 58 games, missing extensive time to knee surgery).
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)