Dec 3, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers aren’t even sure if Ilya Bryzgalov is suffering from a concussion or whiplash thanks to Sunday’s collision, so head coach Dallas Eakins gave the Edmonton Sun a vague possible window for his return:
“It might be two days, it might be two years, take your pick,” Eakins said. “He took a wicked blow when (Ryan) Garbutt was driving the net. It’s something that unfortunately happens when guys are trying to score goals.”
The Oilers face the Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday and then the Colorado Avalanche two days from now on Thursday. There’s no telling if Bryzgalov will suit up.
It’s already been a dramatic beginning for the 33-year-old. He stopped 12 out of 13 shots in relief of Devan Dubnyk on Nov. 25, shut out the Nashville Predators in his first start, was pulled the next day after allowing four goals in two periods against Columbus and then experienced highs (keeping Edmonton in the game against Dallas) and lows (the Garbutt collision) versus the Stars on Sunday.
Also of interest: Dubnyk still believes he’s the No. 1 guy, too.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 16
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 20
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)